La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - La Colombe

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
clc12rock

#1: Post by clc12rock »

Kinda lame they didn't give us suggested parameters this month that's like half the reason I do this subscription. Maybe they'll post them on the website soon. They haven't posted a blog post about La Colombe yet.

Anyway, pulled a few shots of the Fishtown. I did 18g in, 36g out, 201 degrees, 7sec preinfusion. I had to grind pretty fine, I think I'm at 4E, or maybe even 3E, on my Sette. Kinda bitter, but there are some decent sweet notes in the coffee. Gonna play around with it some more, might lower the temp. Let me know what everyone else is trying out!

gr2020

#2: Post by gr2020 »

clc12rock wrote:Kinda lame they didn't give us suggested parameters this month that's like half the reason I do this subscription.
Agreed - super lame. I'm also not excited about how old the coffee is - my Fishtown was roasted on 6/29 (already 10 days old when it was delivered), and the Nizza has no roast date at all.

I sent feedback to LM about both of these points.

On the plus side, the box they sent was a nice presentation...

Update: there is a "best by" date on the Nizza of 9/27/2018. Others have said they date these 8 weeks out - but that's clearly no longer the case, as this is 11 weeks from now...so really, there's no telling when it was roasted.

texmachina

#3: Post by texmachina »

gr2020 wrote:Update: there is a "best by" date on the Nizza of 9/27/2018. Others have said they date these 8 weeks out - but that's clearly no longer the case, as this is 11 weeks from now...so really, there's no telling when it was roasted.
General convention in coffee is "Best By" dates are 12 weeks out. So you can assume it was roasted on 6/27, which is in line with the Fishtown. I agree that these are a bit "past the window" we have come to expect from the LM Subscription. I'm pulling the Nizza currently and it's a good solid shot. Reminds me somewhat of espresso you get in Italy or France.

The packaging is impressive and beautiful, but at the same time for a company that goes through the effort of stamping everything "green", "bio", "compostable", etc... it seems a little counterintuitive to contribute so much more waste than usual just for presentation. No ill will towards La Colombe, I've always been happy with their offerings; just my personal opinion on the packaging.

gr2020

#4: Post by gr2020 »

New blog post with recommended parameters:

https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/july2018 ... scription/

La Marzocco Home
Sponsor

#5: Post by La Marzocco Home »

Hey everyone! Sorry for the delay on specs. You'll find them right here: https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/july2018 ... scription/

Have fun playing around with these coffees, and hope you enjoy the extra little gift in this month's package!

-The La Marzocco Home Team
Scott Callender, La Marzocco Home

nuketopia

#6: Post by nuketopia »

Yeah, I'm a little underwhelmed. I generally will not buy a coffee with a "use by" date on it (the Nizza, like 9/26/18 as I recall). Tried the Fishtown with 17.5g in, 34g out at 199f this morning. Roast date on the Fishtown is 6/28.

There was a can of coffee beverage included, I don't generally drink canned coffee. Also the bottom of the can is corroded. Not exactly tempting. Don't need a replacement.

I'll give it a fair shot with the partial parameters from the blog. No temperatures noted.

clc12rock (original poster)

#7: Post by clc12rock (original poster) »

I was getting some channeling with the Fishtown at 18g, so I upped the dose to 19g in, 38g out and pulled a really good shot this AM. Gonna tighten up the grind and try the suggested parameters tomorrow and see how that goes.

dsblv

#8: Post by dsblv »

I had excellent results with Fishtown with a 18.5g dose and a brew temp of 202 degrees.

texmachina

#9: Post by texmachina replying to dsblv »

This is the shot recipe I've been using as well on the LMLM, and am really happy with the Fishtown. Nicely balanced.

clc12rock (original poster)

#10: Post by clc12rock (original poster) »

Yea, I'm really enjoying the Fishtown. Pulled another good shot at lunch, it was around 19g as well and let it go to 40g in the cup. Gonna try suggested parameters tomorrow and see how it goes.