La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Intelligentsia Coffee: Ethiopia Tikur Anbessa - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Almico

Postby Almico » May 16, 2019, 10:00 pm

My coffee arrived yesterday and I brought it to the bar to try. I just made a quick split double and shared it with a regular customer. He takes a bit of honey in his espresso and I added a bit of maple syrup. It was quite good. Nice body, interesting flavors. Not a blueberry bomb. I didn't bother to go deeper just yet. If I have the option, I don't like to analyze a coffee the first time I experience it. I just try to enjoy it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. This one I did.

I while later I made a pourover with it and learned two things: 1) It was better as espresso than drip. 2) I really like my coffee! It was interesting and dynamic as espresso, just run of the mill light roast as drip. A lot of those flavors I first experienced were not there any longer. Maybe it was the maple? We'll see tomorrow when I try some more.

Chert

Postby Chert » May 17, 2019, 3:12 pm

Mine after two shots is taking a bit less fine grind than my own Ethiopian roast. ORANGE (with the normale extraction I had this am) but I can't say for sure "Seville orange." It's a nice coffee. My partner of short latte preferences does not like Ethiopian coffee. But she liked the two I made for her with this one. For this one the ratio with milk is 1:3.

Was this the coffee that inspired the label TWOJ?

Chert

Postby Chert » May 17, 2019, 3:58 pm

And the next shot - at work with the Millenium LP and B Vario - was a melange of pleasant berry and floral notes and muddled and not that strong Orange note.

danny31292

Postby danny31292 » May 17, 2019, 5:55 pm

This was a bit darker of a roast than I was expecting and would prefer. I'm surprised it does so well at a 3:1 ratio and 40s. It goes really well with milk. An iced latte pretty much tastes like chocolate milk.

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » May 18, 2019, 2:32 pm

This one is going to be interesting. Started with the given 'normale' recipe. Requires a very coarse grind, surprisingly so, probably the coarsest grind I've done in a long time.

Managed to dial in a grind that matched up with the normale recipe on the card. Not sure that's the best I can do with this one. Due to a comedy of errors on my part and the surprisingly coarse grind setting, I managed to screw up 4 shots before getting one to drink.

Need to let it settle and caffeinate the noggin a little before another dialing in attempt.

As coarse as this one wants to be, I may switch to my brew grinder and compare results.

Chert

Postby Chert » May 18, 2019, 4:56 pm

I tried to dial in the normale 1:3 using the 14 gram basket in my Pasquini Livia HX. I failed to get the 41 sec and 1:3 precisely. And I succeeded in tasting the brightness and poor definition of flavors I get at cafes pulling light to medium ethiopian coffee. I dosed upward to 16 grams and pulled a 40 sec 42 mL and I also tried a shorter 16 gram in 24 mL out with similar. I think I'll take it back to the Pavoni because I do like the clearer orange note I was getting from it.

nuketopia

Postby nuketopia » Yesterday, 9:29 pm

Got it dialed in for the listed "Normale" 1:3 18g/54g in 41 seconds.

Hmm. It's good, but not knocking my socks off. The grind is quite coarse to get there.

Think I'll have to experiment a bit to see what works better.