La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Intelligentsia Coffee: Ethiopia Tikur Anbessa - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Almico

#11: Post by Almico »

My coffee arrived yesterday and I brought it to the bar to try. I just made a quick split double and shared it with a regular customer. He takes a bit of honey in his espresso and I added a bit of maple syrup. It was quite good. Nice body, interesting flavors. Not a blueberry bomb. I didn't bother to go deeper just yet. If I have the option, I don't like to analyze a coffee the first time I experience it. I just try to enjoy it. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. This one I did.

I while later I made a pourover with it and learned two things: 1) It was better as espresso than drip. 2) I really like my coffee! It was interesting and dynamic as espresso, just run of the mill light roast as drip. A lot of those flavors I first experienced were not there any longer. Maybe it was the maple? We'll see tomorrow when I try some more.

Chert

#12: Post by Chert »

Mine after two shots is taking a bit less fine grind than my own Ethiopian roast. ORANGE (with the normale extraction I had this am) but I can't say for sure "Seville orange." It's a nice coffee. My partner of short latte preferences does not like Ethiopian coffee. But she liked the two I made for her with this one. For this one the ratio with milk is 1:3.

Was this the coffee that inspired the label TWOJ?
LMWDP #198

Chert

#13: Post by Chert »

And the next shot - at work with the Millenium LP and B Vario - was a melange of pleasant berry and floral notes and muddled and not that strong Orange note.
LMWDP #198

danny31292

#14: Post by danny31292 »

This was a bit darker of a roast than I was expecting and would prefer. I'm surprised it does so well at a 3:1 ratio and 40s. It goes really well with milk. An iced latte pretty much tastes like chocolate milk.

nuketopia (original poster)

#15: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

This one is going to be interesting. Started with the given 'normale' recipe. Requires a very coarse grind, surprisingly so, probably the coarsest grind I've done in a long time.

Managed to dial in a grind that matched up with the normale recipe on the card. Not sure that's the best I can do with this one. Due to a comedy of errors on my part and the surprisingly coarse grind setting, I managed to screw up 4 shots before getting one to drink.

Need to let it settle and caffeinate the noggin a little before another dialing in attempt.

As coarse as this one wants to be, I may switch to my brew grinder and compare results.

Chert

#16: Post by Chert »

I tried to dial in the normale 1:3 using the 14 gram basket in my Pasquini Livia HX. I failed to get the 41 sec and 1:3 precisely. And I succeeded in tasting the brightness and poor definition of flavors I get at cafes pulling light to medium ethiopian coffee. I dosed upward to 16 grams and pulled a 40 sec 42 mL and I also tried a shorter 16 gram in 24 mL out with similar. I think I'll take it back to the Pavoni because I do like the clearer orange note I was getting from it.
LMWDP #198

#17: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Got it dialed in for the listed "Normale" 1:3 18g/54g in 41 seconds.

Hmm. It's good, but not knocking my socks off. The grind is quite coarse to get there.

Think I'll have to experiment a bit to see what works better.

Chert

#18: Post by Chert »

Pourover is good. 93 17:1 in the zojirushi liter thermos. 4 minutes. Lever shots remain better than the ones I made with the HX.
LMWDP #198

clc12rock

#19: Post by clc12rock »

Pulled my first shot at lunch, took 49 seconds. 18g in, 54g out at 200. Underestimated how coarse it needs to be. Definitely taste potential. Fruit notes were there, but not too bright. Gonna loosen up the grind and try again.

#20: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Had better luck with the "ristretto" formula. Had no trouble getting the finer grind. Turning down the water temperature to 200 vs 203 seemed to work better. I'm running 9 bar pressure. Took 20s for the first drops and 51s of total pump running time for 32g out on 19g dose.

EDIT:

Tried the Long recipe, 19g-in/60g-out 28s. Switched to my brew grinder a few times as well since it is pretty coarse at this level. I did not adjust pump pressure down to 6 bar.

Net result is a somewhat between espresso and brewed strength, bitter-orange, not a lot of complexity nor sweetness.

Best results so far with the "ristretto" approach. Overall rating is a B+ for me. Good, enjoyable, but not particularly great. Had hoped for more.