La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription: Happy? Unhappy?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Frenchman

#1: Post by Frenchman »

I've been thinking about subscribing on and off. I think the pricing is fine given that most of the roasts I buy here are at least $15/12 oz, and that, living on the other side of the 520 bridge of Seattle, even going to the city to get a "local" bag of Kuma (which starts at $17) or Onda can add up to $10 in tolls to the cost of coffee. And while I like the Zoka I can get freshly roasted here, I'd like to change more often.

I found a few reviews of individual coffees here. How have you liked or disliked your subscription? My goal would be to get exposure to a bunch of different coffees of (I assume) great quality, and start drinking pure espresso again (rather than my now customary cappuccino in the morning). Would that be a good fit? I found a list of their roasters until Feb 2020 here but nothing more recent. Have they been going in order? It seems like it with the Berlin/Tokyo mix in June and Verve in July?

drown

#2: Post by drown »

It's the most expensive subscription service I documented in my research. Best value for SO coffees was Counter Culture's two bag subscription or Seattle Coffee Gear.
Geography is War

Frenchman

#3: Post by Frenchman »

But have you tried it or are you just saying you wouldn't do it? A 2 bag subscription from a single roaster is not what I want at all (see my original post).

Carmd1281

#4: Post by Carmd1281 »

I live in NYC and had a personal policy to buy local coffee while I live in the city and have access to the brick and motor stores. After 5-6 years of that I got tied of my local roasters so I signed up for la Marzocco subscription and have not looked back. I have been in since month 1. The coffee arrives to me 5 days after roasting or sooner each time. The roasters are world wide. To me the cost is worth the convenience. The variation of roasters and brew tips are my favorite features.

On occasion when I consume faster than the subscription I still visit my local roasters :)
Carm
New York, NY

drown

#5: Post by drown »

Frenchman wrote:But have you tried it or are you just saying you wouldn't do it? A 2 bag subscription from a single roaster is not what I want at all (see my original post).
I am on my fourth month of a LM subscription. I've enjoyed it. If sampling different roasters is your goal the only comparable subscription I found was the Seattle Coffee Gear one. It's cheaper than LM. But I haven't tried it. If you just want to sample different coffees, even exclusively SO coffees I think Counter Culture has enough varieties to keep you busy. But I also have not tried them.
Geography is War

LATrapp
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by LATrapp »

Carmd1281 wrote:I live in NYC and had a personal policy to buy local coffee while I live in the city and have access to the brick and motor stores. After 5-6 years of that I got tied of my local roasters so I signed up for la Marzocco subscription and have not looked back. I have been in since month 1. The coffee arrives to me 5 days after roasting or sooner each time. The roasters are world wide. To me the cost is worth the convenience. The variation of roasters and brew tips are my favorite features.

On occasion when I consume faster than the subscription I still visit my local roasters :)
Other than being in San Diego rather than NYC, this mirrors my experience.

Chert
Supporter

#7: Post by Chert »

Frenchman wrote:But have you tried it or are you just saying you wouldn't do it? A 2 bag subscription from a single roaster is not what I want at all (see my original post).
Having two installments be the same coffee has been the only aspect I would change about the subscription I am enjoying. I certainly have had some nice espresso from every bag and the variety of different roasters, some very far afield as you pointed out, is great.

Just a quick look at three NW region roasters I really like: Velton's, Kuma and Northbound reveal that two 12 oz bags delivered for $40 is close to what you would expect to pay, if you were curating from the websites.
LMWDP #198

now more than ever

Iowa_Boy

#8: Post by Iowa_Boy »

OP, have you considered drinktrade.com?
Lots of good roasters on that list, and price is very reasonable with free shipping.
I have used them several times and have been very happy.

clc12rock

#9: Post by clc12rock »

Love my LM subscription. I've been doing it for over a year now I think and I can only think of a couple of months that were meh. I like how they provide suggested parameters. As someone else mentioned, it was kinda lame when they did two bags of the same coffee (like in August). I'd rather try two different beans, but that's only happened a couple of times and only one of those times I didn't enjoy the bean. Definitely recommend it.

nuketopia

#10: Post by nuketopia »

I've enjoyed it over the last couple of years. It helped up my coffee game a lot. I've now had experience with more types of beans than most barista will see in a whole career.

There are some I didn't like. Some I loved. Some I'm not sure I loved or hated. But I've had a world of top espresso beans to experience.