La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Go Get 'Em Tiger

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jared

#1: Post by Jared »

My subscription arrived a few days ago and I started enjoying it yesterday. I started with the Minor Monuments blend and the parameters they sent it with are serving me well. I'm definitely getting the chocolate. I've been going for two months so I'm a bit rusty at pulling espresso, but this blend has not been finicky thus far. The only thing I noticed is that it required a much finer grind from my Sette 270. I went from using 4 or 5 on the macro for other blends to using a 2 with the micro on its finest setting. I thought I was going to have to put another shim on the burr.

How is it working out for you? Did anyone start with the Ethiopian?

stherric

#2: Post by stherric »

Got mine on Monday. The blend required a very fine grind on my moncon. Definitely chocolate and cherry comes right through. It was very balanced, not a 3WOJ. Ran on a lever profile on the DE1PRO. The Ethiopian required 3 whole notches coarser, which was honestly shocking. It was excellent. Classic Ethiopian profile with a jammy blackberry pie note.

Advertisement
danny31292

#3: Post by danny31292 replying to stherric »

How do these coffees compare to last month's equator? I stuck both bags in the freezer since they arrived earlier than I was expecting.

rpc415

#4: Post by rpc415 »

To start, I am a huge fan of what Charles and Kyle have built in LA and have even taken a road trip just to experience their setup in the flesh. I really enjoyed both G&B and go get em tiger and was pumped to try their personal take on roasting.

I started with the Ethiopia and had to go very coarse with my K30 to get to their parameters. After 2 attemts I finally nailed time and weight and gave it a sip. This is far and wide the worst coffee I have run through my grinder in 5 years. I am getting burnt rubber and ash taste and am wondering if maybe I just got a bad run. The beans are weaping oils like mad, and seem exteremly over roasted. I am tempted to give the phone number they sent a text but wanted to try the 2nd bag first and also see if anyone else had the same experience here. Thoughts?

thirdshifter

#5: Post by thirdshifter »

I re-started my LM subscription for these coffees. Received on Monday the 10th (roast date the 6th). I stuck the Ethiopian in the freezer and started pulling shots of the Minor Monuments. It recommends going over 1:2 with this -- I had much better luck with about 1:1.667, though I always like coffees tighter than recommended. Though recommended for milk, this morning's straight shot of it was delicious -- I nailed it at 18.4 grams in / 30 grams out in 30 seconds. It seriously smelled like gingerbread and tasted like chocolate and brown sugar. Though this shot was great, most have been just pretty good (and pulled longer as recommended).

Though some shots have been tastier than others, every single one has pulled well visually -- even beading, no channeling, nice cone, crema, etc. This isn't just b/c it's a darker roast -- my Vivace Dolce shots are not consistently this good looking. I'm excited to try the Ethiopian.

clc12rock

#6: Post by clc12rock »

I was excited about these coffees from the stellar reviews here and my buddy in LA said it's his favorite shop. I've been pulling shots of the Ethiopian and I'm not impressed. I hit one right on those nose for their suggested parameters and it was not that fruity, mostly tasted roast. Still haven't tried the blend, but I'm not impressed with the Ethiopian and I'm usually a sucker for fruity SO beans. The shots are pulling fine, I just don't think I really like this coffee. Or maybe I got a bad bag like someone else mentioned.

Jared (original poster)

#7: Post by Jared (original poster) »

I'm enjoying the last half of the blend currently and may move onto the Ethiopian SO next. Have you all had any better luck with it as it aged and you tinkered with the parameters?

Advertisement
clc12rock

#8: Post by clc12rock replying to Jared »

No, I pulled another "right on the money" (according to their parameters) shot this AM and it tasted overroasted and bitter, at least for my tastes.

gophish

#9: Post by gophish »

I found the SO to be pretty unremarkable, unfortunately. It tasted and smelled roasty, and lacked any real indicators that it was an Ethiopian or SOE. I happened to be comparing a Monolith Flat and a Versalab M3 with it, and the Flat did tend to highlight what little acidity it had, but I wasn't very impressed.

The same coffee at a lighter roast from their friends and family program was better, with more fruit, floral, and acidity, but never produced a shot that wowed.

I haven't tried the Minor Monuments yet.
Versalab

clc12rock

#10: Post by clc12rock replying to gophish »

Yep, pretty similar experience. You a Phish fan?