La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - George Howell - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
mike guy

#11: Post by mike guy »

Was the LM batch the espresso or non espresso roast? Just got a bag of the non espresso AB and I agree with the outcome of the other thread. It made a fine espresso shot, but it's outstanding as pour over. I'm sure I could tweak it and make a better espresso shot, but that would just mean i have less for pour over.

Can't decide if I like 18gr 1-16 or 18gr 1-17. Both at 195f. The 1-17 is probably the cleaner cup, more complex better finish, but the 16 the more interesting cup. The 16 is a little more one note with a sorghum molasses flavor that is outstanding. I think I prefer the 1-16.

This is good coffee!

clc12rock

#12: Post by clc12rock »

gr2020 wrote:I'm sure you guys realize this, but just in case - you can just hold down the manual button, and it will run at PI pressure until you release the button. So, you don't need to mess with the PI timer, unless you want to free up your hand...
Yea I thought about doing this, but this is probably the only bean I'll be pulling shots of for the next couple of weeks so I went ahead and switched the PI time as well.

Jared (original poster)

#13: Post by Jared (original poster) »

mike guy wrote:Was the LM batch the espresso or non espresso roast? Just got a bag of the non espresso AB and I agree with the outcome of the other thread. It made a fine espresso shot, but it's outstanding as pour over. I'm sure I could tweak it and make a better espresso shot, but that would just mean i have less for pour over.

Can't decide if I like 18gr 1-16 or 18gr 1-17. Both at 195f. The 1-17 is probably the cleaner cup, more complex better finish, but the 16 the more interesting cup. The 16 is a little more one note with a sorghum molasses flavor that is outstanding. I think I prefer the 1-16.

This is good coffee!
The LM batch is the espresso roast and is marked as such on the bag.

nuketopia

#14: Post by nuketopia »

I was accidently shipped two bags of Alchemy, but they've been alerted and already said a bag of Mamuto will be on the way soon. :D

Haven't dialed the Alchemy in yet on the LMLM. Tried a few pulls that were good, but not probably the potential it is capable of. The roaster recommends 6-bar pressure, which means opening the LMLM to adjust. Will continue tweaking it and will try it on my Sette + e61 machine over the weekend.

thirdshifter

#15: Post by thirdshifter »

I'm surprised how light the Alchemy espresso is, given the description on the bag. Also note that the description of Alchemy on the postcard is quite different than the one on the bag, suggesting this blend (like many others) used to be way darker. I prefer darker styles (what used to be considered medium roasts) but enjoy and like to try all styles (and my Versalab will even grind the Alchemy!). So I don't have any problem with the roast style, but I do think the bag description is misleading (full-throated, darker style....bass notes, etc.). What it is instead is a typical very mild somewhat fruity light roast blend completely lacking in bittersweet caramel flavors, not too far away from the current iteration of Black Cat (my Versalab won't grind it but I was in Chicago for a couple days earlier this week so I tried shots of BC at a few of their cafes).

Oh here's the other thing -- my shots indeed taste fine but they look very thin, low crema, and a very narrow cone coming out of the bottomless portafilter -- almost what I would expect very old coffee to look like when pulled (but this was roasted 4/13). Are others seeing this?--anybody getting good-looking pulls?-- is this b/c I'm at 9 bars rather than the recommended 6?

Jared (original poster)

#16: Post by Jared (original poster) »

I'm not having any issues with crema. I am pulling at ~6 bar though.

clc12rock

#17: Post by clc12rock »

My crema is pretty solid as well, but the Mamuto definitely seems more in line with a light roasted SO than a medium-dark roasted espresso blend. I prefer light roasted, fruity coffees tho, so I'm not complaining! Had it dialed in pretty good, but should have tightened up my grind this AM. Pulled 45g out in 25 seconds. Shot was meh and had a lil channeling. Pressure is at 77 on the BDB, forgot to look at the pressure gauge so not sure if it pulled at 6 bars.

thirdshifter

#18: Post by thirdshifter »

Jeez nice looking cappuccino! I should clarify -- I end up with a decent little head of crema that sticks around forever, but the shot is still quite thin and moreso the shot shows a very narrow cone when pulling from a bottomless portafilter -- about the opposite of a dark blend or something with robusta that pulls with a crema-laden cone nearly as wide as the portafilter itself. But I may be over-analyzing as I'm new to the bottomless world. I will say the taste is growing on me and I get a tad more bittersweet flavors than the current iteration of Black Cat. I still find the mouthfeel way too thin.

nuketopia

#19: Post by nuketopia »

Got some good pulls on the Alchemy this morning. No issues with crema or body. Extracts well. I tried cranking the brew temps up to 202-203 range. Best shot came at 18g in, 38g out in 37 seconds, 9bar in a Strada basket in the LMLM. Expected over-extraction, but none found. Not a super sweet blend so far, but it may become more so with additional rest time. Good in milk, ok as a shot, but not especially notable.

RyanP

#20: Post by RyanP »

Stopped at the cafe this morning and picked up another bag of the Daterra natural Brazil and also decides to try the Mamuto AB. Both roasted for espresso. Interestingly enough, it seems the cafe decided not to work with the Alchemy blend. Only SOs for this month.

Pulled a couple shots of the Mamuto AB. Decided to try low temp first. 198F. 14.5g in, 29g out at 7 bar. About 10 sec preinfusion.

Very nice. Definitely a juicy espresso. I tried a slightly shorter shot but preferred it at the 1:2 ratio. Will try increasing the temp and see how it changes.