La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Fritz Coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Nompton

#1: Post by Nompton »

https://home.lamarzoccousa.com/fritz-co ... mber-2020/

I received my shipment on Saturday (11/7). I'm always a little enamored with the foreign roasters we get from time-to-time. As mentioned in the previous thread, it's two 200g bags this month, which is on the light side. I'm working with a PID Silvia, so it sometimes takes me a long time to dial in, so I tend to "waste" a bit.

The good news is that Seoul Cinema dialed in pretty quickly. I'm dosing 20g and pulling at ~199. I will say, a 5 second preinfusion was too long for me. I dialed it back to 3 seconds, 1.5 second rest, then a 28 second extraction. I've consistently pulled ~40g shots with no channeling or other issues that tend to plague me.

Seoul Cinema is super syrupy. Raspberry, lemon peel and burnt sugar come through. Not getting plum. Still, Seoul Cinema is solid and would probably play really well with milk. I'll have to ration it to prevent me from drinking it too quickly.

I'll open Single Origin this weekend and see how it stacks up.

cccpu

#2: Post by cccpu »

Awesome to see someone reporting on Fritz! I just started following them yesterday on IG finally and watching a few videos about them because of their aesthetics and bag design (how shallow, I know :roll:)! Looking forward to hearing more of your impressions about the Sub this month!
LMWDP #583

lfcfan2929

#3: Post by lfcfan2929 »

I just pulled a shot of the Single Origin, and it was one of the best shots of espresso that I've ever made. I'm horrible at describing tasting notes, so I won't even attempt to. It was very sweet, and well balanced. Very little acidity (not that I mind acidity at all). I'll be interested to see if I can reproduce it.

Using a Gaggia Classic, I have a very hard time with shot consistency. Anyways, I dosed 19g and got 40g out in about 28 seconds. My PID is set to 209, but I'm not convinced that the temperature is entirely accurate. Every attempt at setting it lower over the years has resulted in sour/under extracted shots. I use the temperature setting as more of a reference rather than an actual, correct temperature.

I normally have very little issues with channeling/puck prep during dialing in, and this coffee was no different. I can't wait to open the Seoul Cinema and compare the two beans.

cccpu

#4: Post by cccpu »

lfcfan2929 wrote:I just pulled a shot of the Single Origin, and it was one of the best shots of espresso that I've ever made. I'm horrible at describing tasting notes, so I won't even attempt to. It was very sweet, and well balanced. Very little acidity (not that I mind acidity at all). I'll be interested to see if I can reproduce it.

I can't wait to open the Seoul Cinema and compare the two beans.
Great report! Looking forward to hearing more!
LMWDP #583

danny31292

#5: Post by danny31292 »

lfcfan2929 wrote:I just pulled a shot of the Single Origin, and it was one of the best shots of espresso that I've ever made. I'm horrible at describing tasting notes, so I won't even attempt to. It was very sweet, and well balanced. Very little acidity (not that I mind acidity at all). I'll be interested to see if I can reproduce it.

Using a Gaggia Classic, I have a very hard time with shot consistency. Anyways, I dosed 19g and got 40g out in about 28 seconds. My PID is set to 209, but I'm not convinced that the temperature is entirely accurate. Every attempt at setting it lower over the years has resulted in sour/under extracted shots. I use the temperature setting as more of a reference rather than an actual, correct temperature.

I normally have very little issues with channeling/puck prep during dialing in, and this coffee was no different. I can't wait to open the Seoul Cinema and compare the two beans.
I agree, the single origin is one of the tastiest coffees we've gotten in a while. I find a bit of bitterness that maybe can be fixed by dropping the temp a bit. Surprisingly, it wasn't that great in milk. Straight though, sweet and well balanced.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by dparrish »

This is my first month on the La Marzocco subscription.

Just tried the Herbazu Villa Sarchi. 200 g bag size gives little room for error in dosing; I finally came close to the desired parameters on my next to last shot :(. But my grinder had previously been setup to grind a much darker roast. The caramel and orange are there, although I think a slightly shorter pull gets to this better-around 35g out in 35 seconds (19 g in). I used the 1 second "preinfusion" on my LMLM, and was able to set the precise recommended temperature-201.2. It was also difficult to decide which basket size to use, since the recommended dosage falls between my 18g and 20g (LaMarzocco sized 17g and 21g) baskets. I eventually settled on a 20g basket.

Anyway, once dialed in, it is pretty smooth tasting with a nice mouth feel. Hopefully the roast is similar to the Seoul Cinema, so maybe I'll get to enjoy more good shots of it:).

BTW, Dan, your use of the Niche Zero reminds me of the advantages of single-dosing, especially with such a small bag of coffee!

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by dparrish »

Seoul Cinema-20 g in, 45g out, 31 sec., 200.3 F. I get the plum on the nose and in the cup, slightly acidic (described as lemon peel). Nice initial mouthfeel. Finish is long and sugar-caramel (light caramel as opposed to the Harbazu). The complexity fades as it cools, so drink it fast! I will have to try adding milk later, though I suspect the delicate flavors may not hold up well.

tamadrummer

#8: Post by tamadrummer »

seoul cinema - getting caramel and floral notes with great thick mouthfeel with 20gin 42-44g out in 31-33 seconds as they prescribed on my linea mini/monoflat. it's the best tasting blend i've had in a while. great with milk as well. anyone know any us roasters with this similar type blend?

clc12rock

#9: Post by clc12rock »

Just pulled my first shot of the Seoul Cinema. Really like this coffee. One of the better espresso blends I've had. I wasn't crazy about the single origin. It was roasted a little too dark for my liking.

Anyone know what's on deck for December? I suspended my subscription yesterday since they hadn't announced it yet and I have a lot of coffee right now.

tamadrummer

#10: Post by tamadrummer »

tamadrummer wrote:seoul cinema getting caramel and floral notes with great thick mouthfeel with 20gin 42-44g out in 31-33 seconds as they prescribed on my linea mini/monoflat. it's the best tasting blend i've had in a while. great with milk as well. anyone know any us roasters with this similar type blend?