La Marzocco Home Espresso Subscription - Blind Tiger Complex Complex

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nuketopia

#1: Post by nuketopia »

Well, this is an interesting shipment.

3 bags from Bind Tiger Coffee of Philadelphia, an odd note sheet, and a recipe card.

All three washed coffees are from Huehuetenango, Guatemala. Single origin, single farm each bag.

So far, I'm into coffee "C" in the blue-label bag. I'm loving this one already, great fruit and sweetness. 18g, 204f, 40g out in 30s makes a great shot. I grabbed this on first because it was described as fruity and does not disappoint. Looking forward to the rest. This first one I opened requires a finer grind than usual to hit the numbers.

The roaster suggests blending these to your heart's content, like a kid at a soda fountain in a fast food joint. OK.

https://www.blindtigercoffee.com/coffee ... mplex-trio

nuketopia (original poster)

#2: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Have been playing with these coffees and they're quite good.

Each bag has a different aroma and flavor, though they're all from the same region in Guatemala and roasted similarly.

Coffee A has a notable and tangy lime flavor. It's got a little zing, with that bit of something that distinguishes a lime from a lemon.

Coffee B is somewhat between fruity and zippy.

Coffee C has a lot of berry notes in taste and aroma.

All three pull similarly, with coffee A needing a little looser grind than the other two.

So far, my favorite is still "C" because I really like the berry flavors and it reminds me a bit of Ethiopian coffee.

I have tried the roaster's suggestion of blending them in equal parts. The lime notes from bag "A" really standout but isn't over powering, the berry I like so much kind of hides in the blend. I'm pulling 18g doses right at 1:2 ratio with a grind fine enough that I don't see flow for the first 7-8 seconds and I hit about 38g out. The total pump time is about 40s, with about 28-30s from the point the Lunar scale detects flow and starts the auto timer.

I've pulled as much as 44g with decreasing density and the fruit starts to recede as the volume increases, but no significant harsh or bitter flavors on the longer pull. Better at 38g.

Haven't taken statistical measures. Perceptive quality is what you would expect from a 1:2 ratio in terms of mouth feel and shot density.

caeffe

#3: Post by caeffe »

I'm having somewhat a hard time with these to be able to differentiate between ea of them.
I'm using an Elektra MicroCasa with Mazzer Major
I'm finding that I have to grind much finer than usual - If you're familiar with the Major, I have to grind 2-3 notches finer than when I'm using Black Cat for example. I'm dosing 15-16g, and getting ~ 24-28g output per pull.

For now, all I can say is that these are very bright, definitely not chocolatey. Maybe leaning towards citrus similar to Klatch WBC, albeit brighter.

I can try using my NS Oscar but having to temp surf and flush due to it's Dragon nature makes it hard for me to establish a baseline for these.
LMWDP #162

nuketopia (original poster)

#4: Post by nuketopia (original poster) »

Crank up the brew temperature if you can. I'm running a full 5 degrees F hotter than I usually do. Grind tight enough to get 38g in 30s from flow start, which for me gives about 5-7s of pump pressure before the first drops come out.