La Cabra vs Wendelboe

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Acavia

#1: Post by Acavia »

I have not had La Cabra coffee. I noticed it is priced much higher than Wendelboe generally. ~$24 vs ~$18 US for 250grams from each. Do they charge more, or does L Cabra use higher quality coffee beans? Or does Wendelboe have better cost control - I read it freezes its green coffee to get better deals or something along those lines - anyone know??

Cuphead

#2: Post by Cuphead »

Wendelboe has a more consistent selection with many coffees from a few different farms they've been working with for years in most cases. This seems way more cost effective than hunting and buying small lots from the free market which is what La Cabra mostly does. I'd say they're both truly high quality roasters but you probably get more value out of Wendelboe.

This is just my opinion having ordered from both dozens of times. Wendelboe has never delivered a disappointing coffee and l remember one bag I didn't enjoy from La Cabra.

BPlus: turning your coffee spirit
Sponsored by BPlus
Jeff
Team HB

#3: Post by Jeff »

For me, it came down to "too many naturals" with my La Cabra subscription. The quality was up there, just not a choice of coffee processing that I prefer month after month. This is a personal preference, some greatly prefer natural over washed.

K7

#4: Post by K7 »

I ordered a 1kg La Cabra subscription bag for the first time this month and was surprised to find it's natural. I wouldn't have ordered it if I knew it was a natural. I thought it's common courtesy for roasters to let buyers know if it's natural but the web site had zero indication of such. :? I'm still resting the bag (they say 3 weeks minimum)...it better not be another ferment bomb!

Acavia (original poster)

#5: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:For me, it came down to "too many naturals" with my La Cabra subscription. The quality was up there, just not a choice of coffee processing that I prefer month after month. This is a personal preference, some greatly prefer natural over washed.
Are you in US? Wendelboe subscriptions are very reasonably priced but I am concerned about the Norwegian postage used not having tracking. If in US: Do you have any problems receiving the shipment each month? Is there no tracking, so no idea the actually day it will arrive?

Acavia (original poster)

#6: Post by Acavia (original poster) »

K7 wrote:I ordered a 1kg La Cabra subscription bag for the first time this month and was surprised to find it's natural. I wouldn't have ordered it if I knew it was a natural. I thought it's common courtesy for roasters to let buyers know if it's natural but the web site had zero indication of such. :? I'm still resting the bag (they say 3 weeks minimum)...it better not be another ferment bomb!

I just checked and found process listed for the first 4 or 5 coffee I checked. It is way down the page for a single coffee and in the name of each coffee in the collections of multiple coffees, at least the first 4 or 5 I checked had it that way.

K7

#7: Post by K7 »

Acavia wrote: I just checked and found process listed for the first 4 or 5 coffee I checked. It is way down the page for a single coffee and in the name of each coffee in the collections of multiple coffees, at least the first 4 or 5 I checked had it that way.
Ah, you are right. Thanks for that info! I was just going by the subscription page which has little details on the coffee.

Decent Espresso: espresso equipment for serious baristas
Sponsored by Decent Espresso
Jeff
Team HB

#8: Post by Jeff »

La Cabra was typically 10-14 days after shipment to San Francisco. My one TW delivery was about the same (I don't remember which day of the week it arrived). It's "resting" in the bedroom still, though about time to toss it in the freezer. (I need to stop buying coffee, I think I have around 5 kg in there now.)

Acavia (original poster)

#9: Post by Acavia (original poster) » replying to Jeff »

No tracking right? I only ordered once but get DHL. It had tracking but subscription use Norwegian post, which a Wendelboe said is not tracked.

threesips
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by threesips »

I have a TW subscription with Norwegian post shipping--no tracking. It takes about two weeks to reach me in Maryland. I've also used DHL with tracking for individual orders. It takes four or five days but is much more expensive.