Klatch Golden Bean Espresso

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
dale_cooper

#1: Post by dale_cooper »

Just got in my 2 bags of espresso I ordered from Klatch - their Golden Bean blend, as well as Belle.

I just pulled 3 shots of Golden Bean and am looking for tips from anyone. The amount of crema in each shot was insane to the point of making the shot taste weird, and not something I like at all. I'm getting next to no fruit and very little acidity (which is weird because I definitely smell the natural ethi in the bag). Granted I don't buy commercial roasted coffee often but holy crema, its almost like there's robusta in there. 36g out ended up nearly overflowing my little italian espresso cups. I dosed at 19.6-20g while the bag suggests 19g so maybe I'll dose less, closer to 19. Also was pulling it at 201F, maybe I'll try turning that up or down. 3 shots were done across various levels of grind which didn't do much to improve the shot quality. Even the last shot at the most coarse grind (which pulled quite fast), did not seem to increase acidity like I thought it would.

Weird too because the shot pulls beautifully in the bottomless breville portafilter (I have a breville BDB). I was like omg this is going to be goooood, and then bummer.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisement
shanewiebeftr

#2: Post by shanewiebeftr »

is the coffee rested? Too fresh has given me weird results before with other coffees.

dale_cooper (original poster)

#3: Post by dale_cooper (original poster) replying to shanewiebeftr »

Very possible - its only 3 days post roast....

lancealot

#4: Post by lancealot »

I opened a bag today that is 6 days post roast. I got the berry flavors. Pulling it just like the bag describes.

kenyabob

#5: Post by kenyabob »

Three days sounds too fresh. My guess is that Id not start to play with it until its rested a week to ten days.

BaristaBob

#6: Post by BaristaBob »

I use a BDB too. Been really enjoying this espresso, started pulling shots after five days. So here are my parameters...give them a try.
18g in (18g VST basket)
42g out
15 sec preinfusion (at 55% power)
45 sec (total extraction time incl preinfusion)
200F

Been tasting blueberry, chocolate, and the cherry as it cools down.

Best to you!
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..I've come to drink you once again"

jasonmolinari

#7: Post by jasonmolinari »

Alex duetto here. Pulled about a 5 days off roast my preferred dose was following the bag. 19g in, a little lower than their recommended at 35g out at 201F in about 35-40 seconds.
Initially i was getting lots of cherry cola flavors, it's now transitioned to a more subtle blueberry. Still delicious.

I tried lowering dose to 16 and i didn't care for it. It became brighter and not as good. All fruit disappeared.

Advertisement
dale_cooper (original poster)

#8: Post by dale_cooper (original poster) »

Did a shot today, 5 days post roast, substantial improvement - its actually quite tasty. 19g, 201f, 36g out. I think the shot finished in 32seconds or so, I haven't messed with the stock BDB preinfusion settings (thats a whole other rabbit hole to fall down lol). I taste the berry and cherry for sure now, still a little thick with mouthfeel or chocolate. I'm sure itd be quite delicious in a cap actually.

DaveB

#9: Post by DaveB »

This coffee sounds interesting. Was it one of the "12 days of Christmas" specials?
Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Iowa_Boy

#10: Post by Iowa_Boy replying to DaveB »

Agree, sounds interesting. I think there was an 18% off coupon during 12 days that worked on this. There was a free shipping deal yesterday part of 12 days that was free shipping on any order. So figured great way to try. But when I entered promo code at checkout it said I didn't qualify so I gave up. On my list to try though!