Klatch Golden Bean Espresso - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
wilsonkichoi

#21: Post by wilsonkichoi »

I got the Golden Bean, Original Christmas (FTO), Costa Rica El Mango, and Kenya Kabingara during the Thanksgiving promo.
I pull espresso from Londinium L1 with VST 18g basket
Golden Bead 17.5g in 33g out - I didn't have much luck unless I pair it with milk
Original Christmas 17.5g in 33g out - fairly balance shot on the acidic side
Costa Rica El Mango 18g in 27g out - very balance shot, a little bit less acidic and a little bit more sweet then the Original Christmas
Kenya Kabingara 18g in 33g out - feel like I hit the jackpot on this one, consistently give me very bright and acidic shot.

IMAWriter

#22: Post by IMAWriter »

Wilson, I'm not sure some of those (other than Golden bean) were meant for the espresso process...though with a lever, you do have a few more profiling options. I've not enjoyed their SOs nearly as much espresso style as I have as Kalita/Hario. That said, it a sounds though you have a preference for a more "high-toned" shots. I'm more the brandied fruits, caramel type, though I've been successfully "pulling" very tasty shots with Dragonfly's Panama Elida natural. I'm using Cafelot's "Robot" espresso machine. Checkout the threads. it would be a fine companion for your Londinium.

wilsonkichoi

#23: Post by wilsonkichoi »

Robert, Dragonfly's Panama Elida is very tasty indeed (I just pulled a nice one this morning). You are right that I prefer "high-tone' shot, I like Dragonfly's Kenya Karindundu AA better then Panama Elida.
I generally don't have mush luck with espresso roast, as they usually taste bitter to me, may be just my taste buds :|

IMAWriter

#24: Post by IMAWriter replying to wilsonkichoi »

Wilson, theKlatch blends work well at about 201f, but other espresso blends that may be a bit darker roasted might agree with you more at a 199f temperature. I wish I had tastebuds more in tune with city type roasts, but alas, prolly not to be!

wilsonkichoi

#25: Post by wilsonkichoi »

Robert, I was wondering what "city type roasts" mean and quick google search lead me to the George Steinert's Degree of Roast/Temperature chart. I learn something new today! Thanks.
I once tried Klatch breakfast blend, and I was surprised that it give me a very decent shot (wasn't great but everything just right).
With londinium I never try to thinker the temperature, I was a bit lazy to adjust the pressure stat...

IMAWriter

#26: Post by IMAWriter »

I'm finding Golden bean aging nicely. Day 12...very mellow shot, but still enough complexity.

dale_cooper (original poster)

#27: Post by dale_cooper (original poster) »

It is interesting - I may have the same taste as Wilson in that I prefer higher toned, bright shots.... DId another shot of the golden bean today - it still tastes a bit "dark" or "heavy" for my liking, thats the best way I can describe. I want more fruit to pop out and zing me.... rather than the mouthfeel of the shot creating a muddy sort of sensation on my palate.

It's definitely not bad, its good. Like I said, I'm used to just pulling shots of my own SO roasts that I roast for drip - I updose them, increase temp, and many times the fruit is SO intense (I just love that). They certainly don't have the mouthfeel that these do.

I'm still new to the BDB, how do you BDB owners measure the "time" of the shot? Meaning, the 24-26 seconds that Klatch says the 19g shot should run - do you start that when the pressure starts to ramp? For me I think thats ~8 seconds after I click go.

Sidenote - my order of Kenya Kabingara from Klatch, arrived today. Going to brew it up in the v60 tomorrow morning, smells guuuuud. :) My heart still lies in chasing the God cups of pour over. I've made 2 drip "god cups" in my life and they were indescribably good (one was kenyan and one was rwandan) - it's the carrot I keep chasing.

IMAWriter

#28: Post by IMAWriter »

dale_cooper wrote: My heart still lies in chasing the God cups of pour over. I've made 2 drip "god cups" in my life and they were indescribably good (one was kenyan and one was rwandan) - it's the carrot I keep chasing.
The V60 is an awesome device.I found it more sensitive to the pour, grind. I switched to a Kalita and never looked back. As you are obviously really into..and appreciate the goodness that is pour-over, maybe give the Kalita a shot...I recommends the 185, larger model. You can brew about 650 grams...40-45 grams of roasted coffee. You can also do a 1 cup 250-300 gram pour, but need to grind a touch finer.

I haven't ponied up the money as yet to try the Fellow dripper.