Josuma Malabar Gold or RedBird Espresso?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
maki

#1: Post by maki »

i want to buy some coffee and these 2 i like of selling 5lbs and price is quite good, especially i need those shipped to Europe to me, by a friend. cost-wise it will end up a bit pricey BUT where i live we have no roasters (except one, who roast way too light for my preferences and only has one espresso offering, tasting kinda meh).

what i like - sweet espresso but with some acidity, not just plain taste.
LMWDP #630

Corradobrit

#2: Post by Corradobrit »

Bought Redbird a few months ago. Disliked an element in the aftertaste and returned it. Just received a bag of Josuma MG and really like the shot. Very gloopy consistency with lots of body. I wouldn't say its acidic but more well balanced. I would say Caffe Lusso Lionshare is better but also costs a lot more. Good price/quality IMO. I'll be buying this again.

maki (original poster)

#3: Post by maki (original poster) »

it's great you can return it.
me, though, buying a 5lbs bag i will have no other choice than consuming it, even it will be not exactly what i'm after :D
LMWDP #630

Alan762

#4: Post by Alan762 »

Malabar Gold. Excellent value for espresso, not so much for drip. My goto espresso blend.
It never gets easier, you just go faster. "Greg LeMond"

maki (original poster)

#5: Post by maki (original poster) »

oh, just read it has Robusta in blend?
LMWDP #630

Mggray87

#6: Post by Mggray87 »

just received my 5lbs of Malabar gold. haven't had it yet. Roasted on the 15th. Gonna wait about 5 to 6 days.

im excited to try it. I had the Café lusso Lionshare. it was ok. what I didn't like was I received 2lbs 10 days after roast and shipping was only like 3 days. so its not roasted and shipped like Joshua and Malabar.

3 of the 5lbs of gold bricks.

maki (original poster)

#7: Post by maki (original poster) »

can someone sell me some Malabar, to try it out?
LMWDP #630

bluesman

#8: Post by bluesman »

maki wrote:oh, just read it has Robusta in blend?
Yes it does - and it's excellent! If you want a rich, thick, chocolate and caramel shot, I know of none better! We also love Redbird espresso, which is a little more sophisticated & nuanced but a bit less full on the palate. The crema on MG is so thick that you have to make lighter micro foam for art, and this is the biggest effect of the Robusta. But both are excellent classic espressos.

Phaedrus

#9: Post by Phaedrus »

maki wrote:can someone sell me some Malabar, to try it out?
I definitely would be interested in trying out this coffee as well, however I'd hate to buy five pounds and find that I don't like it. Is there a way to purchase a pound?

MSS

#10: Post by MSS »

I really like the Malabar Gold, great as an espresso and milk drinks, however the caffeine will set me on fire, I find that if I drink one Malabar drink; I am done for the day. Of course I do get a lot of work done......