Josuma Malabar Gold or RedBird Espresso? - Page 8

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Bret

#71: Post by Bret »

I order the 5 bags, 1lb each option. Four go into the freezer on arrival. Works great.

I think that some third parties might be either buying the greens blend from Josuma or buying in bulk and selling from stock. If roasted by someone other than Josuma, no way to be sure it matches the quality of Josuma's roast.

I've been thru around 20-25 pounds, so 5 separate roasts, from Josuma with no variations in roast levels or behavior or taste. If you don't want to buy 5 bags, maybe see if some of your espresso friends or even a shop owner or two want to try it, divvy up the cost.

bluesman

#72: Post by bluesman »

Balthazar_B wrote:Ditto, JohnB. I've been enjoying my frozen stash of JMG, though recently have been on a detour with Nicoletti's espresso blend (which is good in its own right). People reading this thread may be interested in trying that out, since it's pretty much in the same general flavor/style wheelhouse as JMG and Redbird.
We've switched to Nicoletti for our house coffee after I tried some on an HB tip earlier this year. It's not quite as sweet as MG and the crema may be a hair less lush. But it's a great espresso in a modern Italian tradition - no ash, no bitterness, just big coffee taste with a nutty, dark (like 90%) chocolate vibe.

I found the MG crema to be so thick that it made my art less precise if I didn't aggressively stir or swirl it in first. Nicoletti's also richly capped, but a swirl or two sets up the canvas perfectly for tulips, rosettas etc. And I love supporting family businesses run by people who care and have a great work ethic. Aldo Nicoletti is really great to do business with, and he loves what we love. Redbird is also family owned & operated, as far as I know - and we love theirs too. But Nicoletti's local so we can even drop in for a shot when we're in NY.