ISO a new daily driver.

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
BuckleyT

#1: Post by BuckleyT »

Blue Bottle's Hayes Valley has been my daily driver for quite a while now despite the USPS's efforts to come between us.
Been paying $18 for 12 oz (free shipping) but they just announced a $3 price increase. That is a 20% hit, just about.

I need to find a classic Snickers bar style espresso. More complex is good but floral high ends are not appreciated.

This forum is populated by aficionados of Geisha roasts and other limited SO roasts that require a banker's letter of credit to obtain; that is not what I am seeking. The daily should cost a buck fifty per ounce or close, including shipping. I grind on a CompakWBC and use a lever. Some roasts do not like to be lever-extracted and some roasts do best on levers. I would like a lever-friendly roast.

Do not like anything from Red Bird, Nossa Familia, or Lusso. I live in Atlanta, which is a coffee desert since Octane folded. If nothing is forthcoming I will go back to Counter Culture's Number 46, which has gotten a little too dependable (read 'boring').

Thank you for eyeballing this.

ATXrob

#2: Post by ATXrob »

If you haven't had the opportunity to try Josuma's Malabar Gold on your lever, it might be worth a try, my wife and I have been loving it lately. Toooooons of thick syrupy mouth feel, and I think you could call it a "snickers" profile that you had referred too.

JB90068
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JB90068 »

Might want to take a look at Klatch - WBC.
https://www.klatchroasting.com/collecti ... 1848559705

The chocolate and berry notes are nice with just a bit of citrus. If you buy 2 lbs it brings it close to your price requirement. Just a heads up - I haven't used this with a lever, so it may not appeal to you.
Old baristas never die. They just become over extracted.

BuckleyT (original poster)

#4: Post by BuckleyT (original poster) »

Thanks, ATXrob and JB90068. I will definitely try both of them.
With this climate change we are going to lose a lot of established coffee terroir and everyone is expecting severe price hikes.
I am just trying to postpone the inevitable.

B

nameisjoey

#5: Post by nameisjoey »

Have you tried the Saka Coffee's?

Black & White's The Traditional?

I also vote for you to try Malabar Gold.

ZYC

#6: Post by ZYC »

Just finished 5 lbs of Wolf Coffee. Highly recommend it
https://www.wolfcoffee.com/products/org-espresso-roast

This is quite good. I personally think it's better than counter culture 46 and B&W the traditional.

chanty 77

#7: Post by chanty 77 »

ZYC wrote:Just finished 5 lbs of Wolf Coffee. Highly recommend it
https://www.wolfcoffee.com/products/org-espresso-roast

This is quite good. I personally think it's better than counter culture 46 ang B&W the traditional.
Since this is a medium dark roast, two questions, are the beans oily? Do you get much in the way of bitter/smoky flavors? Thanks.

cmin

#8: Post by cmin »

If I had to have a darker daily, Chromatic Opus hands down, I actually didn't Josuma Malabar fwiw when I tried it like 3 years ago? But I know it has a lot of fans on here. Opus I love, few others on here ended up loving it as well that were looking for a nice darker roast that didn't taste dark if you know what I mean, not ashy or bitter etc, no oil, they have that roast dialed the best I've ever had for a darker one. I'm not a big darker fan (nor super light fan), but I'll try around and so many end up being oily or just too ashy for me, Opus kicks ass

Opus on lever is bangin

ZYC

#9: Post by ZYC »

Comparing with Black and White year round beans (which are labeled medium dark), this Wolf Coffee espresso blend is definitely dark roast. They get oily after resting. I would say this is classic Northern Italian style roast. You get lots of chocolate and caramel notes from it. If you drink it straight you might get some smokey taste. I typically use it for my Cortado and flat white.

ZYC

#10: Post by ZYC »

chanty 77 wrote:Since this is a medium dark roast, two questions, are the beans oily? Do you get much in the way of bitter/smoky flavors? Thanks.
Comparing with Black and White year round beans (which are labeled medium dark), this Wolf Coffee espresso blend is definitely dark roast. They get oily after resting. I would say this is classic Northern Italian style roast. You get lots of chocolate and caramel notes from it. If you drink it straight you might get some smokey taste. I typically use it for my Cortado and flat white.