ISO a new daily driver. - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
slybarman

#11: Post by slybarman »

Saka's positano would fit the bill nicely if cantina decides to carry it.

If you try malobar, it is imperative that you do not try it within 3 weeks of the roast date. It does some serious off gassing and is gross for the first 3 weeks after the roast date. Then it turns delicious after that. It's a bit of a Jekyll/Hyde thing.

ETA: while I do enjoy malobar, I do not consider it a Snickers bar type of coffee. I find it to have darker chocolate flavors with no caramel notes.

Alan

#12: Post by Alan »

My wife and I both like Tin Lizzie from Vigilante Coffee in Hyattsville, MD very much every morning. They're pretty small but roast daily and ship quickly. They say it's medium-dark, but I think it's more on the medium side of that. It's full flavored and stands up well to milk as well. I think it's a great all-around.

sosha
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by sosha »

Give Flying Monkey Blend from PTs a shot. I like my espresso sweet also, and find this fits the bill. https://www.ptscoffee.com/collections/b ... y-espresso
LMWDP #440
www.kelpfish.com

chanty 77

#14: Post by chanty 77 »

Alan wrote:My wife and I both like Tin Lizzie from Vigilante Coffee in Hyattsville, MD very much every morning. They're pretty small but roast daily and ship quickly. They say it's medium-dark, but I think it's more on the medium side of that. It's full flavored and stands up well to milk as well. I think it's a great all-around.
What flavors (notes) do you detect from this blend? Thanks.

Alan

#15: Post by Alan replying to chanty 77 »

We think it tastes like chocolate oranges, like those wrapped in foil that you whack to split apart. Low acidity and full body for us, but I imagine that varies somewhat with the grind and pull. I alternate between an EG-1 and Niche.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by JohnB. »

chanty 77 wrote:Since this is a medium dark roast, two questions, are the beans oily? Do you get much in the way of bitter/smoky flavors? Thanks.
I'm about 1/3 of the way through a 5lb bag of Wolf's Organic Espresso. It is a dark medium roast taken into 2C & does show oil. I'd say it's closer to a Southern Italian roast then Northern. I do enjoy it but you have to watch the temp & extraction to get around the bitter oily roast flavors in a straight shot. It's tasty but not a snickers bar shot.

Black Canyon Blend from BV Roasters can produce a Snickers Bar shot if they aren't roasting too dark these days. https://bvroastery.com/products/organic ... end-coffee
LMWDP 267

chanty 77

#17: Post by chanty 77 »

Alan wrote:We think it tastes like chocolate oranges, like those wrapped in foil that you whack to split apart. Low acidity and full body for us, but I imagine that varies somewhat with the grind and pull. I alternate between an EG-1 and Niche.
Sounds wonderful! Are the beans oily at all? Thanks.

Alan

#18: Post by Alan replying to chanty 77 »

Nope. OK, this is too much info for your thread, but I enjoyed doing it. These beans have been in the freezer for 8 days since roast. I pack into 18g doses in plastic centrifuge tubes as soon as I receive them and put them in the freezer. I take my morning doses out the night before to thaw.

Here are the beans before grinding a few min ago:

Here are the grounds dosed into the PF and stirred with a puck rake, but not distributed or tamped:

Here's a video of the extraction. It ain't perfect. I didn't spend as much time on the distribution as I maybe should have if I was intending to upload the video, but I used the Decent puck rake about 5 seconds, then an OCD tool, then the Decent tamp, and put a normcore screen on top of it. You can see that the extraction starts around the edges and then fills in and maybe a little bit of channeling at some point toward the end with the drop on the edge of the cup. Tastes good, though.
And here's the shot visualization. I grind for kind of long extractions all in with the Decent and have a bit lower temperature than some recommend. I like how it tastes. Total shot is 62 seconds. 20 seconds of pre-infusion and 42 seconds of espresso coming out.

https://visualizer.coffee/shots/c506614 ... 19f8ec08bb

Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Having recently gone through some Klatch WBC and Belle, I'd suggest the Belle is more like what the OP is asking for, but neither are very Snickers-like. I'm finishing up a batch of Dragonfly La Crema Dolce (Anyone notice a theme here?) and I'd suggest it as an excellent candidate. Very chocolate, caramel, and sweet. There is a nondescript and pleasant balancing acidity (enough to keep it from being boring, but not primary) and a slight, but reliable hint of cinnamon.
B&W Traditional is dark enough that it may be more like Redbird, which the OP waved off. Of B&W's 3 blends, the Natural was my fave. It had some Ethiopian fruit and chocolate, but it's not so light as to also be hard to pull. I found it flexible, balanced, and featured. The Classic, on the other hand, had a narrow sweet spot and was not super interesting to me.
Counter Culture Big Trouble, George Howell's Alchemy, and Wonderstate's Flyway are all reliable milky-chocolate with nut and caramel blends that I go back to over and over. Flyway is less well known, and I find it can convey a mouthfeel that makes it seem much darker than it is, with no hint of roast smoke, and it gets very butterscotchy when pulled well.
I had 17 ft and Hayes at the same time and can't remember their differences, but remember both liked pretty tight ratios (close to 1:1) and one was exceptionally fudgy, but both were that to a degree. That would suggest Gran Miscela Carmo which is very fudgy, though it has a hint of roast smoke--more than I'd care for in a daily driver, YMMV.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

Glacier21

#20: Post by Glacier21 »

I love Hayes Valley and have been thinking about a daily driver for my new setup. Have you tried Peets Espresso Forte? Yeh it's Peets and it's dark and it's not snickers. But when I ran out of Hayes Valley recently I pulled some Espresso Forte and it felt like home.

Like Blue Bottle, Peets runs a very effective mail order operation and ships Espresso Forte for $18/lb.

Ruby Creamery seems very promising but I haven't dialed it in just yet. Ruby seems to have good mail-order game, too.

I'm very curious where you end up!