Is anaerobic coffee just not my cup o' tea? - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Drewskie (original poster)

#21: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

[quote="K7"]I think you are spot-on here. With anaerobic and often standard naturals as well, I find the more I try to extract, the nastier they get. Which is also why I didn't recommend finer grind to the OP's acidity problem. Go easy on extraction and I can often reduce the ferment note to a tolerable level and bring out the fruitiness to the front. I just had a Burundi anaerobic pour over using this approach and all sorts of berry flavors described by the roaster were nicely pronounced with minimal ferment funkiness. Like you said, people who are used to high EY gear/approach for washed SOs may need to adjust their approach quite a bit for anaerobics and naturals. It took me a while to figure it out. :)[/quote

Agreed, although I would have to try many more anaerobics too anything other than "ferment" like you mentioned.
Even the initial grind aroma is very off-putting. One of the most recent ones I had was a geisha from a very reputable local roaster. He described the flavors as being full of strawberry, but I couldn't take more than three sips before I had to dump it out. The only thing I could taste was dirty mushrooms and that scent lingered in the house for days.

Dpablo

#22: Post by Dpablo »

Have you tried a more extensive rest for your beans? If they're too fresh, I'd imagine the funk could be overwhelming. Given what we now know about light roasts, it might be wise to give a bag at least two weeks before brewing.

Advertisement
Drewskie (original poster)

#23: Post by Drewskie (original poster) »

I have not tried waiting extra long, but with pretty much all of my coffee I wait two weeks to the day, I found that that's the sweet spot. I'm actually planning on trying one of the horrible anaerobic geishas tomorrow morning so I'll update if it gets any better.