Intelligentsia Roasting lighter than TW, DAK, Manhattan (CONFIRMED)

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by PIXIllate »

Had an unexpected result this morning when I opened a bag of Intelligentsia's Black Cat Classic Espresso. I thought the beans looked quite light for what I was expecting but I haven't had this in a few years.

I decided to measure it in my Roast Vision and got quite a shock. It came up as 31-Very Light.

As a point of comparison Tim Wendelboe espresso roasts are usually about 27-Light, DAK and Manhattan Espresso roasts are about the same (27-29-Light) and my normal darker roasts like Blackout from Hatch or the "Dark" roast from Nektar would be 19-21-Medium Dark/Medium.

Taste profile was nothing like what is on the bag or their website. The shots ground, ran and tasted like a filter roast.
Anyone else had this coffee recently? Was the bag incorrectly filled? Do I have the wrong impression of Intelligentsia?

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#2: Post by RapidCoffee »

I visited Intelligentsia in downtown Chicago last November. Their Black Cat was not a light roast.
John

PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote:I visited Intelligentsia in Chicago last November. Their Black Cat was not a light roast.
They have at least 5 different Black Cat Espressos. The one I bought was the Classic.

RapidCoffee
Team HB

#4: Post by RapidCoffee »

Yes, I ordered the Black Cat Classic Espresso. Also brought a bag with me, which Jim and I pulled on his Bianca. That wasn't a light roast either.

Guess I should ask: how does it taste?
John

Supporter ♡

#5: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

RapidCoffee wrote:Yes, I ordered the Black Cat Classic Espresso. Also brought a bag with me, which Jim and I pulled on his Bianca. That wasn't a light roast either.
I just emailed them. Possibly the bag was filled with another coffee? I'm at a bit of a loss. I bought it through the Canadian distributor (Manic Coffee) but I did send Intelligentsia an email out of curiosity.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#6: Post by Milligan »

31RV is no way the right roast level for Black Cat. It is lighter than traditional espresso but not filter light. IIRC it is somewhere in the 80-90 agtron range, medium-light.

Capuchin Monk

#7: Post by Capuchin Monk »

PIXIllate wrote:Do I have the wrong impression of Intelligentsia?
I would say, no. I stopped buying their roasts long ago. They were considered the elite roaster in the region +-20 years ago but something changed.
"In October 2015, it was announced that Peet's Coffee & Tea would buy a majority stake in Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea by the end of the year,..."

SteveRhinehart

#8: Post by SteveRhinehart »

I have some Black Cat Classic and some BC Organic arriving this afternoon. I'll post photos in comparison with Hydrangea and Regalia when it arrives.
Capuchin Monk wrote:I would say, no. I stopped buying their roasts long ago. They were considered the elite roaster in the region +-20 years ago but something changed.
"In October 2015, it was announced that Peet's Coffee & Tea would buy a majority stake in Intelligentsia Coffee & Tea by the end of the year,..."
Roasting more like Peet's would be a decidedly unwelcome change to me. Roasting more like Tim Wendelboe would be extremely welcome. I used to pull Black Cat regularly some years ago and my tastes have shifted a lot lighter over time. The bags I bought are to see if they're roasting light enough for my preferences or not.

SteveRhinehart

#9: Post by SteveRhinehart »

Lighter than I remember:

Comparisons are Black Cat Classic (semi-washed Brazil, washed Colombia), Black Cat Organic (washed Colombia, raised bed dried Ethiopia), Hydrangea Basha Bekele natural, and Regalia Las Perlitas washed pink bourbon/caturra. Visual color differences off-camera are rather slight. The Regalia is what I would say appears the densest and least developed of the four.

Supporter ♡

#10: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

As an update, Intelligentsia was very responsive through email and after a little back and forth they have offered to ship me a bag direct. I'll measure it and report back.