Intelligentsia Black Cat- different again - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
keno

#11: Post by keno »

HB wrote:Assuming it hasn't changed since he posted this, see Black Cat sold at Whole Foods -- where's the roast date?
Dan,

Not sure that is still the way they do it. If so, the coffee I just purchased was roasted in 2030!

The number on my bag is 300011. Please help!

Cheers,
Ken

forgetcolor

#12: Post by forgetcolor »

Does the Black Cat Decaf have this change as well?

ThaRiddla

#13: Post by ThaRiddla »

@ Keno
you mean the 11th day of 20300?! :shock:

That number (300011) is an Intelligentsia Internal number for accounting and inventory purposes.
I just confirmed with the production label master that we now default to a Gregorian Calendar date (YY.MM.DD) for the labeling of bags at Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc. You will find this on the right side of the UPC sticker affixed to the bottom of the bag. If an individual customer choses to use a Julian date (eg, 07344) it would be placed in the same position on the UPC.

@ forgetcolor
No, Decaf Black Cat is run in significant quantities. We run a new batch only a few times throughout the year.

oofnik (original poster)

#14: Post by oofnik (original poster) »

Just wanted to update:
I pulled what was probably my most delicious shot yet with the new Black Cat. On my Factory, I updosed very slightly by tapping the PF on the table once to compact the grinds just a little before leveling. Tamped at around 10 lbs, and pulled the shot with a single pull. I got an intense blast of cinnamon and chocolate hitting me in the face, the cinnamon lasting long into the aftertaste. It was awesome. 8)
Black Cat + Lever machine = win.

sgstarks

#15: Post by sgstarks »

Riddla - Is there any way to find out if Intelligentsia coffees are available in Austin, TX? This is the home of Whole Foods, but the store I visited didn't seem to carry "the good stuff". Thoughts?

ThaRiddla

#16: Post by ThaRiddla replying to sgstarks »

I don't believe that we are currently in Texas. It's really a region by region (and even store by store) deal. If the Austin, TX regional coffee buyer for WF would like to carry our coffee, we are more than happy to go into that market.

mikemiller34

#17: Post by mikemiller34 »

I picked up some roasted 12/3--be sure to try it as drip too!

cappafan

#18: Post by cappafan »

Gee, don't I wish the Whole Foods here on Long Island, NY, would carry some Black Cat because I'm an hr. from NYC and there are no roasters here to buy fresh beans. The most gourmet beans you can get here is Starbucks!
Jan, LMWDP #168

Mark08859

#19: Post by Mark08859 »

After reading this thread I decided to try some Black Cat only to find that a certificate error was returned when I went to place an order and the site (and my browser) did not indicate it was secure. Guess I'll have to wait. :(

ThaRiddla

#20: Post by ThaRiddla replying to Mark08859 »

Sorry about that...this is fixed.