I won a instagram giveaway

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Velospresso

#1: Post by Velospresso » Nov 06, 2019, 1:31 pm

Title says it ! I won a giveaway by local Québec roasters from Montréal to Gaspesie. 16 different roasters have or will send bags of coffee.

I will use this page to give my impressions on the different coffee I have been sent using both my espresso machine at home and a chemex for office coffee.

Here is the first shipment I received.

I will write a review of escape's Donald espresso later today.
★ Helpful

Chert
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Chert » Nov 06, 2019, 2:00 pm

Velospresso wrote:Title says it ! I won a giveaway by local Québec roasters from Montréal to Gaspesie. 16 different roasters have or will send bags of coffee.

I will use this page to give my impressions on the different coffee I have been sent using both my espresso machine at home and a chemex for office coffee.

Here is the first shipment I recieved.

Congratulations!

I will watch out for your review. I don't recall having a coffee from Guerrero before:

"Guerrero is known for the beaches of Acapulco, as the birthplace of the Mexican Revolution, and as a hot-bed of cartel activity. It is not known for coffee, but three generations ago a small group of dedicated farmers brought coffee to the mountains overlooking the fishing town of Zihuatanejo. (Yes, this is where Morgan Freeman escapes to at the end of Shawshank Redemption.) A two hour drive from the beach and you will findy yourself high in the Sierra Occidental Range - and deep in the fincas of Levya Mancilla. Levya Mancilla is a farmers association whose members include the first farmers to bring coffee to the area. Due to their unique climate and capabilities, this group is especially good at producing natural coffees. We are proud to present you Donald, a coffee from the San Vicente de Benitez's region and composed of naturals Typica & Bourbon. A silky coffee with notes of strawberries, roses and almond butter."

- from Escape.cafe

belegnole

#3: Post by belegnole » Nov 06, 2019, 2:28 pm

Congrats and enjoy!

Bunkmil

#4: Post by Bunkmil » Nov 06, 2019, 3:14 pm

Congrats!

I also live in Montreal so if you have too much coffee and you feel generous ;)...

Velospresso

#5: Post by Velospresso » replying to Bunkmil » Nov 06, 2019, 4:07 pm

I'm in Rimouski now so it's a bit far to share :wink:

I will vacuum seal and freeze coffees to keep freshness. Some roasters I have contacted and will wait before sending their bags.

Velospresso

#6: Post by Velospresso » Nov 06, 2019, 7:10 pm

Allright for the actual review :

From escape Coffee roaster in montreal : Donald Espresso

TYPE: Single Origin
NOTES: Strawberries, rose, almond Butter, cacoa
REGION: Guerrero, Ejido San Vicente de Benitez
FARM: Finca La Estancia
PROCESSING: Natural
PROCESSING MILL: Atoyac de Alvarez
VARIETY: Typica & bourbon
ALTITUDE: 1200m

Description from escape coffee :
Chert wrote:Congratulations!

I will watch out for your review. I don't recall having a coffee from Guerrero before:

"Guerrero is known for the beaches of Acapulco, as the birthplace of the Mexican Revolution, and as a hot-bed of cartel activity. It is not known for coffee, but three generations ago a small group of dedicated farmers brought coffee to the mountains overlooking the fishing town of Zihuatanejo. (Yes, this is where Morgan Freeman escapes to at the end of Shawshank Redemption.) A two hour drive from the beach and you will findy yourself high in the Sierra Occidental Range - and deep in the fincas of Levya Mancilla. Levya Mancilla is a farmers association whose members include the first farmers to bring coffee to the area. Due to their unique climate and capabilities, this group is especially good at producing natural coffees. We are proud to present you Donald, a coffee from the San Vicente de Benitez's region and composed of naturals Typica & Bourbon. A silky coffee with notes of strawberries, roses and almond butter."

- from Escape.cafe
Light to medium roast, very fragrant. Espresso is extracted to a 1:2 ratio as suggested on roaster's web site, in around 30 seconds from first drop. Espresso is crisp but not overly acidic. Rose flavour and aroma is very present when « slurped » (think wine tasting here), otherwise it's more subtle. Cocoa is present in the aftertaste with pleasant bitterness.

With milk, the crispness still cuts through, the rose aroma/taste is replaced more by a hint of raspberries that continues in the aftertaste. I did not notice almonds but it's a very pleasant coffee.

For those interested these are the roasters I will be getting coffee from :

Escape (MTL) : Donald Espresso
Saint-Henri (MTL) : Pie San Nano-lot Catuai Filter (competition coffee - it was used by Saint-henri's Gaby in some SCA competition)
ZAB (MTL) Yanatile
Cantook (Quebec) : Gesha Dionel Chilito
Brulerie du quai (Carleton sur mer) : Geisha El Paraiso
Kittel (MTL) : Kathakwa AA
Structure (MTL) : not received yet
94 Celsius (MTL) : Colombia Rodrigo Pelaez
Traffic(MTL) : not received yet
Pista (MTL) : not received yet
Rabbit hole (MTL) LAFU lot 3 (from Yunnan in china : really curious about this one !)
Kohi Microtorrefacteur (Prévost) : Yabitu
Nektar (Quebec) : not received yet
Lanterne (MTL) : Éthiopie. Kayon mountain
8MDT (MTL) : FLO mélange du moment (Ethiopia-Nicaragua)
Monark(Lévis) : not received yet

SimonPatrice

#7: Post by SimonPatrice » Nov 06, 2019, 10:21 pm

I'll be reading with great interest. I don't know many of the roasters who sent you coffee so I thank you in advance for your reviews.

Personally, I've been enjoying Zab's coffees for a while, especially their Ethiopians.
Patrice
LMWDP #428

HelterSkelter

#8: Post by HelterSkelter » Nov 07, 2019, 11:40 am

Velospresso wrote:Title says it ! I won a giveaway by local Québec roasters from Montréal to Gaspesie. 16 different roasters have or will send bags of coffee.

Here is the first shipment I received.

Holy wow! I spot a Geisha in there too, bottom right!

Velospresso

#9: Post by Velospresso » Nov 10, 2019, 3:22 pm

Small update, all the non essential coffee has been vacuum sealed and put in the freezer to preserve freshness.

Also, Escape is all gone. Next on review is Mélange FLO (french for FLO blend) from 8mdt (8 Maison De Torréfaction), followed by Cantook geisha when my hario scale arrives for my office setup.