I just purchased my first grinder; looking for coffee recommendations

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
vcasa

#1: Post by vcasa »

Hello everyone,

After drinking preground illy for years I decided to purchase my first grinder. (Sette 270) I was here looking to see what coffees people are drinking. I live in Michigan and wonder if anyone can suggest a coffee to purchase to learn about my grinder and a decaf coffee that will convince my skeptical wife that a grinder was a good idea. We have been drinking a medium roast Illy in milk drinks most of the time.

Thank you.

MB

#2: Post by MB »

Check out this recent thread for decaf recommendations. Recent sampling of decaf offerings as espresso

Whoever you go with would likely have a regular coffee you would enjoy. Beyond that, check out this thread starting with more recent pages as things change seasonally. What is wow'ing you?
Also let us know what interests you. Something similar to what you have been having, or maybe something more fruit forward, roasty or not so roasty?
LMWDP #472
★ Helpful

Advertisement
nuketopia

#3: Post by nuketopia »

The 270 works great. I have it in our second home.

I've been on the LaMarzocco home subscription for a long time (over two years) and have experienced an incredible range of coffee from roasters all over the world. Some of them I loved, some of them I like and a few I didn't care for. However, it is always interesting and a wide range of things come your way.

If you want to explore, that might be a great way to try things you never thought of.

You can find many of the reviews I've posted here in this forum.

SEMIJim

#4: Post by SEMIJim »

vcasa wrote:Hello everyone,
I live in Michigan and wonder if anyone can suggest a coffee to purchase ...
Your profile says you're in Boulder, CO.

If you tell us where in Michigan, some members might be able to come up with some local roasters nearby.

Tj.

#5: Post by Tj. »

vcasa wrote:Hello everyone,

After drinking preground illy for years I decided to purchase my first grinder. (Sette 270) I was here looking to see what coffees people are drinking. I live in Michigan and wonder if anyone can suggest a coffee to purchase to learn about my grinder and a decaf coffee that will convince my skeptical wife that a grinder was a good idea. We have been drinking a medium roast Illy in milk drinks most of the time.

Thank you.

If you are near Ann Arbor, Mighty Good Coffee is a top roaster. I recommend their Colombian, Guatemalan, or Kenyan. I have not had their decaf.

SandraF

#6: Post by SandraF »

Ruby Roasters in Wisconsin has a good blend called "Creamery" which I think is easy to work with.

https://rubycoffeeroasters.com/collecti ... onal-blend

vcasa (original poster)

#7: Post by vcasa (original poster) »

Thank you all for the response.

Advertisement
RyanJE

#8: Post by RyanJE »

Here are some of my go to...

Howell, Heart, Ruby, Counter Culture, Intelly.

Also check out 49th parallel. Their coffee is a great deal as the exchange rate is still solid....
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

RyanJE

#9: Post by RyanJE »

Also, FYI. Decaf is tricky to work with when it comes to espresso so dont get frustrated!
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

cf

#10: Post by cf »

For espresso, one of my favorites is Espresso Vivace Dolce Blend. It's the first thing that comes to mind when I think about traditional espresso that is thick with excellent texture, notes of chocolate and caramel and sweetness. If I had to drink one espresso blend the rest of my life (glad we don't), I'd probably pick Dolce. Well known and well regarded, plus I think the owner (David Schumer) recommends the Sette with his coffees.

https://espressovivace.com/product/vita-blend/
You'd have to pick Dolce from the dropdown.