'I don't like coffee. Can James Hoffmann change that?' [VIDEO]

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Ken5
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Ken5 »

I just watched this new video where James Hoffmann does a cupping with a gentleman that never liked coffee. I enjoyed watching it very much and learned a bit, though it would have been really nice to experience it rather than watch it. :)
Ken
★ Helpful

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

One of the best James Hoffmann videos ever!

Espresso Forge: brew truly incredible espresso at home
Sponsored by Espresso Forge
PIXIllate
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by PIXIllate »

Thanks. Enjoyed this one. A bit too much really. What does it say about me that I'll watch someone else cup coffee for a half an hour?

fizguy

#4: Post by fizguy »

I signed up for a virtual cupping event hosted by counter culture. It will be my first and I am excited for it! I would love to learn more about detecting and describing flavors. Can you all point me in a good direction? I remember Jim Schulman posted about a class he taught in which the students mixed extremely sour and bitter things, etc. it was fascinating to me. I am afraid my palate is very unsophisticated!

MNate
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by MNate »

I rather liked this video. Would be interesting to do as well, even casually with my spouse to see what we both like. Well, I mainly know what I like.

To recap (his taster wanted to go mainly decaf): His first round he did a supermarket coffee and then a Colombian roasted medium and the same roasted dark. The taster preferred the medium so second round he did that same medium Colombian plus a Sumatra, a Kenyan and another Colombian:

Probably from my coffee on hand it would be enough.

I don't have any real advice on naming flavors (taster wheels?), but the comparative aspect of his test might be enough. Plus, he seems to prefer it if you use vocabulary you're already familiar with (for him, the taster mentioned Kimchi and Hoff said it's more Kombucha but since the taster had never tried one of those, that description was meaningless and Kimchi was better for him, even if imperfect).

Bluenoser
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Bluenoser »

I missed the part of why he used virtually all decaf. I find such a taste difference between decaf and regular that I'd like to see the result if he used less processed beans.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by yakster »

Tom Scott not only didn't drink coffee, he didn't drink caffeinated beverages, possibly due to a sensitivity so decaf was selected.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

La Marzocco · Home: customized for espresso aficionados
Sponsored by La Marzocco · Home
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by baldheadracing »

Bluenoser wrote:I missed the part of why he used virtually all decaf. I find such a taste difference between decaf and regular that I'd like to see the result if he used less processed beans.
Genetics determine how well one perceives the bitterness of coffee, and caffeine is a major contributor to bitterness. From the video, it seems that Tom Scott doesn't perceive much difference.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-34713-z
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5972367/

cjhacker23

#9: Post by cjhacker23 »

This is the best JH video I've seen in a long while... and it's not even on his channel!

NicoNYC

#10: Post by NicoNYC »

Watching that video makes me want to find some place I can participate in a guided cupping. I feel like there's so much that I'm missing out on in trying only one or two coffees at a time.