I'm done with 'shipped' coffee

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
coyote-1

#1: Post by coyote-1 »

I just got a bag of Filicori Forte. In the past I'd had good results with it. But this bag, despite the "use by" date seemingly far out in the future, just isn't doing it. Same process as before.... Significantly lesser results in the cup. And I'd noticed such things with the past many bags I've gotten either via shipment, or in retail scenarios.

Meanwhile I have two small roasters within 15 miles of me. They are busy roasting nearly every time I go. The coffees are never more than a couple days past the roast date when I get them. And I'm finding I have a vast preference for freshness, both with espresso and the morning pot of drip coffee. So at least for the near term I'm going to purchase only from these two roasters.

slappadabass

#2: Post by slappadabass »

Oh yeah. My list of "don't order from these guys anymore" roasters grows each week :)

Any time I get sent a bag that was roasted 2+ weeks ago, I add them to the list and don't order again. This honestly happens too often. I too get very very tired of them sending their leftover bags of old coffee, which drastically impacts the taste in the cup.

I now stick to a list of go-to roasters that roast to order, or where I know I'll receive it within a week of roast date or so. And mainly from Ontario and Quebec. Anything outside those provinces goes via snail mail of Canada Post.

Capuchin Monk

#3: Post by Capuchin Monk »

Welcome to home roasting. :) /roasting/
★ Helpful

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster replying to Capuchin Monk »

You'll have no one to blame but yourself, but you'll also learn to roast coffee just the way you like it.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

coyote-1 (original poster)

#5: Post by coyote-1 (original poster) replying to yakster »

I'm slightly intrigued by the possibilities. Except I used to brew beer, and at a certain point that transformed from a hobby to a 'job'. So I'm thinking, with two very good local roasters available to me, that the amount of work involved in getting my own good roast beans is, for the moment, greater than my need to do it.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by yakster replying to coyote-1 »

That's probably smart but as someone who brewed beer in the past I have to say that it's much easer to roast coffee than brew beer.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Capuchin Monk

#7: Post by Capuchin Monk »

coyote-1 wrote:that the amount of work involved in getting my own good roast beans is, for the moment, greater than my need to do it.
Did you know that unroasted coffee beans are about half the price of roasted coffee beans? :idea: And unroasted beans have a lot longer shelf life than roasted beans. :idea: :idea:

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by Milligan »

Roasting is definitely a hobby and not something to do for saving on the grocery/coffee bill. I do not suggest roasting at home unless it is interesting to you for more than trying to save money. You will be disappointed and likely frustrated... and likely won't save any money. :shock:

Glad to see you lean into local roasters. If you have some locally roasted options that satisfy you then go with that. Ordering a few "higher end" options a few times a year could keep things interesting as well. Save on the shipping and give back to your community, plus you can go in and make some friends. Get to know the roaster and the process first hand if interested.

I've had many duds from online roasters, but I enjoy the hunt.

Ypuh

#9: Post by Ypuh »

Ever since I started home roasting, I'd say; freshness is overrated.

Sure; you don't want a months old beans when you still have 1-2kgs laying around as it messes with your schedule, but 2 weeks is perfectly fine in my opinion. The whole freezing; packing single portions, not leaving beans overnight in the hopper, well.. This is Home-Barista so I'll save my thoughts on that.
I don't want a Decent

coyote-1 (original poster)

#10: Post by coyote-1 (original poster) replying to Ypuh »

I've tried freezing. Didn't like the result. As for freshness: when I get from my local guys, the beans are no more than a couple days old. I'm finished with the small bag within two weeks, so I'm basically always working with fresh beans. I keep them in the bag, and I remove air** when I close it and store it in a cool cabinet. I only take as many beans as I want for a dose. Single dosing means I'm never over or under on my dose. If I kept the beans in the hopper, not only would they age more quickly but then I'd also need a doser or scale or something.

**About removing air: this is absolutely essential to keeping food fresh. There's no point, for example, in putting cold cuts in their ziplock deli bags if you don't push the air out. Leaving air in the bag... you might as well not bother with the bag.