The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 9

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Phillycheese (original poster)

#81: Post by Phillycheese (original poster) »

TomC wrote:Domestically, an Italian style espresso blend, roasted by Italians, folks should consider Mr Espresso. Especially their Tuscan Espresso.

https://mrespresso.com/coffee/espresso/
Are there any opinions out there on Mr. Espresso?

drH

#82: Post by drH replying to Phillycheese »

I just tried the Neapolitan espresso this week and I like it although it's a bit dark for me. The Tuscan is medium roast so I'll try that next. To my taste it's fresh and high quality.

If you are willing to order from Italy try cafe caroli. The family blend is my favorite so far.
https://www.caffecaroli.it/shop/en/

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#83: Post by baristainzmking »

So I caved and ordered the the Passalacqua Miscela Napoli And Harem. I opened the Miscela Napoli and I just don't get it...it tastes burnt and bitter. Tried different doses and temperatures and all taste bitter and burnt....what am I doing wrong, please advise!
Julia

Phillycheese (original poster)

#84: Post by Phillycheese (original poster) »

I opened the Miscela Napoli and I just don't get it...it tastes burnt and bitter.
Hi Julia- I will try and assist with the dilemma- first off are you drinking straight espresso or a milk drink? If it is a straight shot- the mouth feel is strong and you should pull a short shot at maybe 14.5g in and 15g out. 9 BAR max. Make sure you have the weight measurement exact. Use a distribution tool if you have one. Tamp enough to get pressure but not too much. Also- I would push the low end of the range at 194 deg F for the shot. You should expect a taste of roast and dark chocolate with a lingering taste in the mouth for 15 mins or more. We are pre-infusing for 4 secs and then rest for 3 secs. Use 25 secs as a timer for when the first drip hits the cup till you get to 15g- it should be about 25-30 secs.

If it is a milk drink- (same as above) I would use the best whole milk you can find, Straus or one like that- foam the milk but only to 135 deg F. if the mix is right you will get a very deep flavorful cup, with the sweetness of the milk blended in, its amazing. Keep at it- report back. ;-))

katkat

#85: Post by katkat »

A quick test of the Lavazza Super Crema at 14g 94c immediately brought back the crema and good extraction I lost with the Segafredo. It was a little too late in the day for me to fully dial and taste but the test shot was decent.

drH

#86: Post by drH »

Phillycheese wrote: 14.5g in and 15g out. 9 BAR max. Make sure you have the weight measurement exact. Use a distribution tool if you have one. Tamp enough to get pressure but not too much. Also- I would push the low end of the range at 194 deg F for the shot.
Can you say anything about the chemistry here? Why such a short shot? Wouldn't you expect underextracted flavors with less volume or is it just that this won't be a problem with dark roasts and the sugars dissolve first?

I have a Cremina and can't be so precise on the temperature- how can I deal with bitter flavors like that- simply coarser grind? Shorter shot? Lock in a cold portafilter?

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#87: Post by baristainzmking »

Phillycheese wrote:I opened the Miscela Napoli and I just don't get it...it tastes burnt and bitter.

Hi Julia- I will try and assist with the dilemma- first off are you drinking straight espresso or a milk drink? If it is a straight shot- the mouth feel is strong and you should pull a short shot at maybe 14.5g in and 15g out. 9 BAR max. Make sure you have the weight measurement exact. Use a distribution tool if you have one. Tamp enough to get pressure but not too much. Also- I would push the low end of the range at 194 deg F for the shot. You should expect a taste of roast and dark chocolate with a lingering taste in the mouth for 15 mins or more. We are pre-infusing for 4 secs and then rest for 3 secs. Use 25 secs as a timer for when the first drip hits the cup till you get to 15g- it should be about 25-30 secs.

If it is a milk drink- (same as above) I would use the best whole milk you can find, Straus or one like that- foam the milk but only to 135 deg F. if the mix is right you will get a very deep flavorful cup, with the sweetness of the milk blended in, its amazing. Keep at it- report back. ;-))
Thanks for the advice. I was using a small dose, but a lot more out and higher temperature. It almost feels counterintuitive to use such low temp for coffee and milk. I like my drinks warmer, but am willing to try. :)
Julia

mathof

#88: Post by mathof »

Pino wrote:I would also suggest Arcaffè. See: www.arcaffe.com/our-coffee/philosophy/
It is located in Livorno on the Tuscan coast.
It has been a while since I purchased this, so I am not sure if this meets your expectations in flavour. However it is a very quality orientated company.
Following this suggestion, I bought a bag of Arcaffè Peru:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

This is a medium-light roast that works well as plain espresso. Although a little lost in a 6-ounce flat white, it leaves a pleasureable honey-like aftertaste to savour.

mathof

#89: Post by mathof replying to mathof »

Update: I tried it this morning in a 5-ounce flat white and it was delicious: refined chocolate.

Pino

#90: Post by Pino »

Thanks for posting: "Following this suggestion, I bought a bag of Arcaffè Peru.".
Good to hear. Some years back there was a local supplier here in Niagara. Not anymore. So I sent a message to Arcaffe to see who imports here.