The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 35

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
nameisjoey

#341: Post by nameisjoey »

slybarman wrote:Going to have to get you to give Malabar another go. I know you enjoy the Saka like I do and Malabar is quite good and somewhat similar when properly rested and pulled at the right temp and ratio.
I knowww! I've been holding off trying it again because I know it's not as easy going as Saka. The beauty of Saka is it's just so simple to get great shots, where I remember Malabar being more temperamental. I'll have to give it another go next time I buy though.

jpender

#342: Post by jpender »

What are differences between Malabar Gold and the Saka blends in terms of the shots one gets?

Advertisement
slybarman

#343: Post by slybarman »

i don't drink straight shots, so I'm not the one to answer in that regard. As a latte, they both stand up very well to milk with rich coffee and lingering chocolatey flavors. both having thick body to them as well which in part is what allows them to stand up to the milk. they don't get lost in the background. both also have very thick crema that lend itself to nice latte art pours.

jpender

#344: Post by jpender »

I don't drink straight shots very often either. And I get that these two coffees are similar.

But are they identical in the cup? If not, what is different?

slybarman

#345: Post by slybarman »

Similar in nature, but not identical. I swap between them to mix it up a little. That said, I would have to have them closer in time to each other and be thinking about your question when I had it to be able to give a meaningful description. Which I will do, but it may take a little while until I come back to it as I ran out of Malabar about a week ago.

musica

#346: Post by musica »

I've been on the hunt for a good Italian espresso and have tried most of the ones mentioned in this thread, including the four basic blends from Saka. So far the ones I've liked the best are Toraldo Miscela Rosso and Hausbrandt Nonnetti, which incidentally are both 80/20 blends. Would anyone have any other recommendations in the same vein?

Chert

#347: Post by Chert »

Have you tried tafuri positano? It's 80-20.
LMWDP #198

Advertisement
musica

#348: Post by musica »

No, the only ones I've tried from Tafuri are Saka Crema Bar, Espresso Bar, etc.

slybarman

#349: Post by slybarman »

first sample i got of the Positano was excellent. the kilo i ordered i did not really enjoy. they had lightened the roast from the first batch.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#350: Post by Milligan »

The kilo of Ravello I had wasn't anything to write home about.