The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 33

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
tv79

#321: Post by tv79 »

My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Italy, and I had the opportunity to visit a few different cafes while in Rome.

Each was unique (Tazza d'Oro was an especially fun and unique experience), but there was one small cafe right outside the Vatican walls whose espresso really stood out to me. Each morning I'd have 2-3 shots and every one was consistently tasty.

Found out they were using MokaSirs Pregiato blend and was happy to find a US distributor. My bag arrived within a few days of our return and I've been brewing it, along with Saka, ever since.

Super smooth, tons of crema, and I can honestly say it's probably the most forgiving Italian blend I've tried. Prior to our trip I had mainly used Lavazza Super Crema, but now having tasted them side by side I find I much prefer MokaSirs.

SutterMill

#322: Post by SutterMill » replying to tv79 »

This post is much appreciated as I am leaving for Rome tomorrow. If you happen to remember the name I would love to check them out as the Vatican is on our list to visit.

tv79

#323: Post by tv79 » replying to SutterMill »

Based on a receipt I found I think it was BorgoPio92 Caffe. It's a small place right around the corner from the Vatican walls. Probably pretty typical of cafes in the area.

Enjoy your trip!

EvanOz85

#324: Post by EvanOz85 »

tv79 wrote:My wife and I recently returned from a trip to Italy, and I had the opportunity to visit a few different cafes while in Rome.

Each was unique (Tazza d'Oro was an especially fun and unique experience), but there was one small cafe right outside the Vatican walls whose espresso really stood out to me. Each morning I'd have 2-3 shots and every one was consistently tasty.

Found out they were using MokaSirs Pregiato blend and was happy to find a US distributor. My bag arrived within a few days of our return and I've been brewing it, along with Saka, ever since.

Super smooth, tons of crema, and I can honestly say it's probably the most forgiving Italian blend I've tried. Prior to our trip I had mainly used Lavazza Super Crema, but now having tasted them side by side I find I much prefer MokaSirs.
Sounds interesting. I just ordered a bag of the Pregiato and a bag of the Selezione to try out. I'm assuming these are Nitro-packed?

ojt

#325: Post by ojt »

SutterMill wrote: Vatican is on our list to visit.
I might be late here but if you're into specialty coffee there's Pergamino Caffè just outside the Vatican. Very good but admittedly not traditional Italian coffee.
Osku

SutterMill

#326: Post by SutterMill »

Thank you for the recommendation. I am in Capri currently where I managed to find a single ristorante that had a lever. Its been my favorite thus far. Headed back to Rome tomorrow for a week and will add Pergamino to the list.

nameisjoey

#327: Post by nameisjoey »

Anyone tried Ditta Artigianale?

https://dittaartigianale.com/en

ojt

#328: Post by ojt » replying to nameisjoey »

Yes. They're good, and the owner Francesco Sanapo is a big name in the Italian specialty coffee circles. For me personally their roast level has gone a bit too dark in general. Perhaps it's because they've grown so huge and need to cater to the tastes of a bigger crowd, you can now find their coffees in some grocery store chains here in Italy.

Definitely something to try though. And I'm one of those who love super light roasts so YMMV in regards the roast level.
Osku

Foofooman

#329: Post by Foofooman »

Phillycheese wrote:I have some updates and ranking for comparisons.

Current Ranking:

1. Caffe' Hausbrandt
2. Passalacqua Miscela Napoli
3. H. Hausbrandt (see notes below)
4. Lavazza Super Crema
5. Segafredo Extra Strong

Yet to be opened Passalacqua Harem (100% Arabica), plus we want to add one or two more to this list. Oro Caffe' Premium is one. Danesi Gold might be the other. That would spread the list out to 8, any other suggestions to try?

Notes: When we first tried the H. Hausbrandt we didn't like the taste and assumed that since this was the oldest of the group in terms of expiry dates (shortest time to expiration) that this was the cause. I admit that it could still be part of the problem. However, we pulled a second batch out of the freezer and decided to up the game. We went to a pre-infusion mode with 4 seconds of infusion followed by 3 seconds of rest before the shot. We also maxed out the brew temp at 94C and held the shot to 14.5g in and 16-17g out. We allowed for 25 seconds of time to expire starting from the first drop to hit the cup. The results were amazing, what we got was a sweet chocolate taste with some hints of herbs and nuts. It moved up the leaderboard and left us thinking about how we treat each one to its fullest potential. We have yet to try this methodology with the Caffe' Hausbrandt but expect to see even better results.
How does Cartapani Cinquestelle fit in to your leaderboard? I'm deciding between ordering that or Hausbrandt Nonnetti.

larscoffee

#330: Post by larscoffee »

Ditta is fantastic. Really enjoyed visiting their shops throughout Firenze. Italian craft coffee at its finest.