The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 26

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
LVD
Supporter ♡

#251: Post by LVD »

slybarman wrote:Please post the roast date when you get it.

I just received a bag today, and it has a "best by" date of Dec 16, 2022. So an assumed roast date of Dec 16th 2020.

slybarman

#252: Post by slybarman »

LVD wrote: I just received a bag today, and it has a "best by" date of Dec 16, 2022. So an assumed roast date of Dec 16th 2020.
Thanks. Better than when I got mine, but still 4 months out. Let us know how it pulls.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
Me2
Supporter ♡

#253: Post by Me2 »

LVD wrote: I just received a bag today, and it has a "best by" date of Dec 16, 2022. So an assumed roast date of Dec 16th 2020.
Just got bag today. Same.

coffeechan

#254: Post by coffeechan »

Picked up the Cartapani Cinquestelle, same batch of Dec 2020 roast. Pretty much as expected being 4 months off roast, beans are more stale than domestic roasters. I am a bit surprised these are not vacuum sealed and don't know if Cartapani nitrogen flushes their bags. There was none of the fragrant sweet coffee aroma compared to the Black Cat Analog I recently had, but I did pick up a decent amount of aromatics after grinding. The beans are medium dark roast with no oily sheen or feel while handling the beans.

Based on the experience of those in this thread, I started aiming for 15g in and 28g in about 25-30s. I came close and did 15g in, 30g out, in 25s with 7s preinfusion. I am probably going to go finer and shoot for the 28g in 30s tomorrow as it was already starting to get late. The shot went into a latte with whole milk Lactaid (lactose intolerant as of late). Cinquestelle held up very well in milk and I had a tasty drink with sweet honey and lots of chocolate with no sugar added as Lactaid is already very sweet. I will try straight shots once I get a better feel for how to pull it on my setup, but first impressions are its good for milk drinks. My only complaint was the crema dissipated quickly probably due to staleness and I could clearly feel the Robusta caffeine buzz. I'd like to see if I could add a bit more body to the pulls.

Cartapani Cinquestelle reminds me of Kimbo Superior, which I enjoyed when the earlier Italian Espresso blend discussion around 2016/2017 was going on. 4 months post roast makes me wonder how much better it could be fresh and could tempt me to join the next Saka group buy. I wonder if it's the chocolatey robusta that's the magic behind Italian espresso blends?

slybarman

#255: Post by slybarman » replying to coffeechan »

That is very consistent with my experience. If you want more body the Saka will deliver. If you want more body and even more caffeine (if that was possible) then malabar gold will get you there. Malabar has the strongest caffeine jolt of any coffee I have tried so far.

coffeechan

#256: Post by coffeechan »

Upon further evaluation, I moved to grind finer from 6 to 4 in the espresso range on the monolith conical, and kept the default 7s preinfusion. It pulled around in about 25s, with 15g in and 28g out at 203F. I was able to extract more chocolate and nuts, but I may coarsen it as I feel like I am extracting some undesirable bitters, tannic, and slightly astringent notes. The Cartapani Cinquestelle really does have a wide forgiving grind range to pull shots, but frankly I might need to rotate another coffee to break up some of the pure chocolate and nuts of the Cinquestelle or Italian style blends. 2lbs of a single coffee for 1 person to work through is a month or so of the same coffee. I wish these coffees were available at 1lb bags.

Saka Caffe might be something I want to try in the future. The thought of 2-5lbs of Malabar gold isn't particularly appealing if its just more body and caffeine. I like a full bodied brew, but feel I'm already pushing it with caffeine with about 20% robusta in the Cinquestelle.

another_jim
Team HB

#257: Post by another_jim »

coffeechan wrote: ... but frankly I might need to rotate another coffee to break up some of the pure chocolate and nuts of the Cinquestelle or Italian style blends. 2lbs of a single coffee for 1 person to work through is a month or so of the same coffee. I wish these coffees were available at 1lb bags.
The Italian coffees keep fairly well if the bag is unopened; but they stale quickly on opening. The best SOP is to keep the opened bags in the freezer. secured with a clip. Measurer the beans out frozen in whatever portion you like. It turns out the earlier idea that they are hurt by condensation, or that they need to defrost before grinding, doesn't hold water (I know, a really bad pun). You can have five or six bags of coffee in the freezer, and they will keep for months.
Jim Schulman

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
Spitz.me

#258: Post by Spitz.me »

This is exactly what I do. I have Italian roasts, Caffe Lusso and Klatch roasts currently in use and in freezer.
LMWDP #670

coffeechan

#259: Post by coffeechan »

another_jim wrote:The Italian coffees keep fairly well if the bag is unopened; but they stale quickly on opening. The best SOP is to keep the opened bags in the freezer. secured with a clip. Measurer the beans out frozen in whatever portion you like. It turns out the earlier idea that they are hurt by condensation, or that they need to defrost before grinding, doesn't hold water (I know, a really bad pun). You can have five or six bags of coffee in the freezer, and they will keep for months.
Indeed, I've adopted a version of that with the Cinquestelle. Current portion I'm using goes into a vacuum sealed canister for daily portioning of 2 shots or so. The vac sealed canister is about 10 oz, which is plenty to work through for a week. Rest go into vacuum sealed bags and the freezer. Problem is I'm about halfway through the first portion and about ready to move onto another coffee and may not return to it. I am not entirely sure if this is due to possible taste fatigue of the flavor profile of the coffee (little to no acidity to offset the roast/caramel/bitters) or if say the coffee has rapidly staled, despite being stored in a vacuum canister. I am considering using it for a cold brew concentrate instead and move onto another coffee.

For some context, I've recently started doing home espresso again and revisiting the styles of coffee I liked. Memory is a strange thing sometimes, now I seem to recall I might've gotten myself into the same situation last time where the Italian style blends were great for a bit, but was really a struggle to finish. I'm kicking myself I didn't take the time to jot down some notes for reference about such things. I have an urge to revisit Ethiopian SO espressos and I wonder if it will hold up to what I remember. This hobby sometimes..... :roll:

another_jim
Team HB

#260: Post by another_jim »

That's why I like single dosing grinders -- I currently have a "menu" of six espressos to pick from. It's one of the things I totally don't get -- there are usually dozens to hundreds of mostly pointless choices for everything we buy; so why no choice for espresso at cafes? That at least I can remedy at home.
Jim Schulman