The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 23

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Dragon

#221: Post by Dragon »

Espressoman007 wrote:Hi,
and Happy New Year to everybody!

I've been reading this thread and I have found it interesting since I am a fan of Italian blends. I have to admit that I didn't try a lot of them, but enough to know I like them. I haven't read the thread from the beginning, which I'm planning to do, but I came across some recommendations which led me to order Passalacqua Cremador. I was checking their chart and what I saw looked worthy trying, strong with higher body. And the date of production was also great, December.
But I have to admit that it's not what I wanted. It's extremely oily, with a bit more burnt flavour than I expected. It is dark, but not too dark (which is not a bad thing), since it's not too dark, I wonder why is it so oily then?
But, it doesn't have that silky, creamy feeling that I am looking for and a bit more body wouldn't hurt as well.
A few pages back, one member mentioned how delighted he was with Passalacqua Crema blend which wasn't oily or dark?! Am I missing something or is there Passalacqua Crema as well, or is that actually Cremador and not Crema? Because I haven't noticed that they have Crema on their site, only Cremador and Cremador E.
Since there are so many good reviews for Passalacqua coffee I'll give it another chance and order it again, but I would appreciate some help on choosing the right blend which is creamy, has good body, but it's not oily, dark enough, but not oily.
Any recommendations?

If anyone is interested, here's a link for a page where I'm ordering from: https://www.espresso-international.com/

Cheers!
Hello, I recommend Borbone coffee, it's based in Napoli like Passalacqua, but it's not so burnt, you get dark beans, but almost no oil on them. It has a crazy crema, it is a chocolate bomb and it's also cheap! The only problem could be the availability in US, I'm in Europe and I pay about 10 euros per kilo, supercheap (but I have an importer in my country so no internațional shipping).
I recommend Borbone Blu 70% arabica and Oro (the Gold one) 95% Arabica. Avoid the red/rosso one, it's 90% robusta

Oskuk

#222: Post by Oskuk »

My todays mix:
Toraldo Arancio / Monsoon Malabar

----
This way I can get best of both; I get neapolitan earthly flavours and a bit easier grinding and softer taste, and tiny bit of fruit as well...

Espresso Vision: the perfect cup of coffee starts with understanding your roast
Sponsored by Espresso Vision
Oskuk

#223: Post by Oskuk »

Dragon wrote:Hello, I recommend Borbone coffee, it's based in Napoli like Passalacqua, but it's not so burnt, you get dark beans, but almost no oil on them. It has a crazy crema, it is a chocolate bomb and it's also cheap! The only problem could be the availability in US, I'm in Europe and I pay about 10 euros per kilo, supercheap (but I have an importer in my country so no internațional shipping).
I recommend Borbone Blu 70% arabica and Oro (the Gold one) 95% Arabica. Avoid the red/rosso one, it's 90% robusta
Tried to order from them, but they are saying posting everywhere in eu but brexiting Britain and Finland ;-)
So they are keeping their coffees themselves, so let it be so ;-D

Dragon

#224: Post by Dragon » replying to Oskuk »

NO problem, buy it from espresso-international (.com), I checked and they deliver to Finland for only 8 eur delivery fee (but you have to order at least 50 eur) and they have Borbone! They also deliver relatively fresh (1-3 months post roasting), but be sure to mention this when you order

Espressoman007

#225: Post by Espressoman007 »

Dragon wrote:Hello, I recommend Borbone coffee, it's based in Napoli like Passalacqua, but it's not so burnt, you get dark beans, but almost no oil on them. It has a crazy crema, it is a chocolate bomb and it's also cheap! The only problem could be the availability in US, I'm in Europe and I pay about 10 euros per kilo, supercheap (but I have an importer in my country so no internațional shipping).
Thanks! And if the only problem is importing to US then the problem is solved, I am in Europe too, not too far from you, a bit western...in Croatia :)
I'll have that coffee in mind. Just one question, do you get reasonably fresh coffee? I got Passalacqua the same month it was roasted and the other was Hausbrandt which was roasted one month before. So that link I left, the link for the shop where I order coffee has great dates.

Cheers!

P.S. it's a bummer for Finland and UK, I often have the same problem ordering from Amazon.de which is crazy because it's also EU.

Oskuk

#226: Post by Oskuk »

Dragon wrote:NO problem, buy it from espresso-international (.com), I checked and they deliver to Finland for only 8 eur delivery fee (but you have to order at least 50 eur) and they have Borbone! They also deliver relatively fresh (1-3 months post roasting), but be sure to mention this when you order
Darn!
I actually checked first this shop, as it is my main Italian stuff-shop! And did not find as searched letter b; name Borbone...and not c; caffe borbone! ;-) Thank you, now found it!
Their only problem is minimal order 50e, and I have my order in so I think I'll wait for a little smaller stock in my freezer...

Espressoman007

#227: Post by Espressoman007 » replying to Oskuk »

Hi,
I'd like to know what's your way of freezing beans? I never tried it, but I'd like to now, since I'm planning to buy a bit more coffee. I am not a big consumer and 1 kg per month is enough for me. I am planing to freeze it in small jars, 40 g each. I would do that with first kilogram. 40 g is two espressos for me and that's for two days. But if I buy 2 kg, and I freeze them, what is the best time to use coffee after taking it out of the freezer? Let's say if I freeze it in 150 g batches, that's one week for me, is that too long after taking it out of the freezer?

Cheers!

P.s. I copied this address espresso.international and pasted it... and what a surprise, that's the address I left above (in my post) from where I found out it's great to order, and after Dragon left the Borbone coffee, I went to the web-shop and looked for Borbone and didn't find it, I searched just like you, under B :)

Cheers!

ECM Manufacture: @ecmespresso #weliveespresso
Sponsored by ECM Manufacture
Willinak
Supporter ♡

#228: Post by Willinak »

Espressoman007 wrote:Hi,
I'd like to know what's your way of freezing beans?

Cheers!
Vacuum bagging ala Foodsaver is probably your best bet.

Oskuk

#229: Post by Oskuk »

I just fill my hopper, tape the bag and throw back to freezer.

Espressoman007

#230: Post by Espressoman007 » replying to Oskuk »

Basically, you freeze the whole bag? When you need beans, you take the bag out of the freezer and then return the same bag into the freezer? How many times you do that with the same bag, with how much coffee do you fill the hopper, how long is it in the hopper until you fill the hopper next time? So that works fine? Interesting.
If that is fine, that would be the easiest way, maybe I could try that too:)

I'd like to avoid vacuum bags because I'll have to buy a pump or something. I have jars with one way valve for approx 100 g, and I was thinking if I freeze 120 g and then after I take it out of the freezer, I am going to fill those jars with coffee for the next few days, would that be ok?
Thanks.

Cheers!