The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 16

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Spitz.me

#151: Post by Spitz.me »

Pino wrote:Tony. I see from a previous post in June that you prefer the Lavazza Gold selection. Which other blend do you like? Where do you source them? I live in Niagara and I'm in Toronto every other week. Years ago I lived in Germsny and would buy the super crema and Top Class.
The best Italian roast I've had by miles was the Lavazza Gold Selection. You can get that off Amazon Canada. It's pricey. The Top Class' robusta ratio or quality isn't quite right. I never really liked it. The Super Crema was a much more pleasant experience. It's similar to Kimbo Superior, but it has more depth of flavour. The Superior is super bland.

If you can try the Gold. I'd give it a shot, at least once.
LMWDP #670

interseismic

#152: Post by interseismic »

I've now gone through two kilos of Cartapani Cinqestelle. Stuff is absolutely fantastic. Highly recommend.

drH

#153: Post by drH replying to interseismic »

Maybe I need to try this again... I didn't have amazing results the first time.
I really love Mokaflor though. Has anyone tried their gold blend?

Sol Buchanan

#154: Post by Sol Buchanan »

I had a cup of Kopi Luwak in Bali. Freshly pooped out, cleaned, roasted, brewed.

It was a really good cup of coffee.

LVD

#155: Post by LVD »

TomC wrote:Domestically, an Italian style espresso blend, roasted by Italians, folks should consider Mr Espresso. Especially their Tuscan Espresso.

https://mrespresso.com/coffee/espresso/

I'd like to second this. I've come across several posts across this forum, where people are interested in Italian espresso, but wish for something that's made closer to home and doesn't sit on a shelf forever. For those people, Mr. Espresso is the answer. I've only tried the Tuscan so far, but it truly tastes like an Italian espresso.

A lot of times when people ask if there is Italian style espresso made freshly, domestically, I usually see suggestions that are high quality coffee, but they're not truly Italian tasting espresso. In my opinion, Mr. Espresso nails it.

drH

#156: Post by drH »

The new Arthur Avenue Blend at Cerini Coffee (seller of the Cremina in the US) is also pretty good. It's roasted in Italy but the batch I received tastes fresh and has the typical Chocolate/nut profile I was looking for.

https://www.cerinicoffee.com/products/a ... -bag-1000g

szephyr

#157: Post by szephyr »

dparrish wrote:Hi,

I'm guessing you're talking about northern Italian coffee? It's not that easy to find coffee in the States blended specifically for espresso (most are too acidic/3rd wave imo). Here's a few I like: Caffe Umbria Gusto Crema, Espresso Vivace Dolce, and Caffe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo.

Sometimes I crave the southern Italian style roast, and I have yet to find anything that approaches the amazing complexity yet darker roast of Italian blends. I've been enjoying Passalacqua's Miscela Napoli, and Harem is next on the list. There has to be some trick the Italians know in roasting-dark, but still complex tasting with a unique and captivating aroma/taste. And no, those two I just mentioned are 100% arabica.
Whereas Passalacqua Harem is 100% Arabica, their Miscela Napoli is 80/20 Arabica/Robusta. Their other 100% Arabica is the Moana.
All amazing coffees, though.

Crotonmark

#158: Post by Crotonmark »

drH wrote:The new Arthur Avenue Blend at Cerini Coffee (seller of the Cremina in the US) is also pretty good. It's roasted in Italy but the batch I received tastes fresh and has the typical Chocolate/nut profile I was looking for.

https://www.cerinicoffee.com/products/a ... -bag-1000g
This is a great store. Really good people. Also really fun to visit the store

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#159: Post by dparrish »

szephyr wrote:Whereas Passalacqua Harem is 100% Arabica, their Miscela Napoli is 80/20 Arabica/Robusta. Their other 100% Arabica is the Moana.
All amazing coffees, though.
Didn't realize the Miscela Napoli had robusta. But I've not detected any "defects", and I've certainly enjoyed both blends!

cdo

#160: Post by cdo »

Spitz.me wrote:The best Italian roast I've had by miles was the Lavazza Gold Selection. You can get that off Amazon Canada. It's pricey. The Top Class' robusta ratio or quality isn't quite right. I never really liked it. The Super Crema was a much more pleasant experience. It's similar to Kimbo Superior, but it has more depth of flavour. The Superior is super bland.

If you can try the Gold. I'd give it a shot, at least once.
Gold is on sale on Amazon at the moment, not sure if it is worth the roast date gamble though. I picked up a bag of Super Crema and the roast date was March. Have you ordered recently?