The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 15

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
def
Supporter ♡

#141: Post by def »

Has anyone tried Buon Giorno coffee? They specialize in Italian espresso blends, fresh roasted in Texas. I receive my first pound this week of Espresso Autunno. It is excellent, and with my La San Marco group lever is the next best thing as being in an Italian bar.

bgcoffee.net

jrham12

#142: Post by jrham12 »

I tried some of the Buon Giorno Inverno and it was quite tasty!

Me2
Supporter

#143: Post by Me2 »

Rayon wrote:I had to register because of this thread. I have 4 kilos coming this way (I'm from Finland):

Lucaffe Mr. Exclusive Espresso Beans

Will report later :)
Have you cracked the lucaffe? Pls post results and extraction parameters!

I've really enjoyed a couple of roasts mentioned in the thread so far. Working my way through a second bag of cartapani comquestelle atm.

Qrumcof
Supporter

#144: Post by Qrumcof »

def wrote:Has anyone tried Buon Giorno coffee? They specialize in Italian espresso blends, fresh roasted in Texas. I receive my first pound this week of Espresso Autunno. It is excellent, and with my La San Marco group lever is the next best thing as being in an Italian bar.
bgcoffee.net
I just received 7-pounds today from BG.. I tried to brew the Verazzo (not espresso) and Estate (southern Italy).. I think the coffee is still too fresh. Help me remember, and I'll be happy to post what I'm tasting.

If anybody knows how to brew Italian roasts, tips appreciated. I've heard that Italian roast work with a ratio of 1 (low ratios).. But a few posts above someone said they were brewing 15 g in and 30 g out (1:2).

I'm brewing
a little over 8 bars..
202F
Shooting for 25-30s.

def
Supporter ♡

#145: Post by def »

For Espresso Autunno blend, I use 20g in and 20g out. 202°F (about). This type of medium-dark roast should be ready after shipping time and requires no additional rest period.

I have not tried Vernazza blend, but sounds like rest or grind finer, dose lower, and extract more (1:2) to balance the acidity.

nameisjoey

#146: Post by nameisjoey »

For those that have tried Lavazza and Nicoletti, which do you prefer? Both are priced pretty similar, but obviously ones fresher. Looking to try one of these two next time I make a purchase.

drH
Supporter ♡

#147: Post by drH » replying to nameisjoey »

This is really hard because your experience with Lavazza will vary depending on how fresh the bag is. I love Lavazza and used it daily for years, but I've slowly moved on to others like Mokaflor (from Florence) and Toraldo (when I want very dark roasts).

I've had mixed results with Nicoletti. Sometimes I get a great cup but I have trouble repeating it, and frequently I get turned off by the strong robusta flavors (and I love blends with Robusta). To my palette, Lavazza is gentler, more classic, harder to get wrong.

If you want a very fresh blend in the Italian tradition (including robusta) but roasted in the US, try Blue Bottle's 17 Foot Ceiling.

jevenator

#148: Post by jevenator »

I had an order of Nicoletti in last few months. I did not like it all. Very weird bitter robusta taste that I don't remember it having that in early 2019...I don't think Lavazza would be even better.
LMWDP #643

Spitz.me

#149: Post by Spitz.me »

We're using too broad of strokes for these Italian coffees. Lavazza doesn't only have one blend. It's misguided or misleading to state that "Lavazza" is better when we're talking about very particular coffees. Lavazza has a slew of offerings and there are a few I can very easily drink, and enjoy while others are a waste of money. Kimbo has a slew of different offerings... all of these large reputable Italian roasters don't only provide one profile.

I personally like some specific Lavazza blends so I tend to grab those over others, but it's not because it's Lavazza and I'd promote Lavazza as inherently better because I like 2 blends out of the 20 or so that they offer.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

Pino

#150: Post by Pino »

Tony. I see from a previous post in June that you prefer the Lavazza Gold selection. Which other blend do you like? Where do you source them? I live in Niagara and I'm in Toronto every other week. Years ago I lived in Germsny and would buy the super crema and Top Class.