The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 13

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
TangyWasabi

#121: Post by TangyWasabi »

They sell a lot of Italian beans at Marshals/TJ Maxx if you guys have any locally, I see Lavaza Super Crema and Caffe' Cartapani Cinquestelle. I've always disregarded them as cheap crappy beans. (they can go as low as like $9/2lbs) I'll definitely give them a try now.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#122: Post by yakster »

The coffee is likely to be pretty old from those stores.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

TangyWasabi

#123: Post by TangyWasabi »

Oh definitely, but anything off Amazon has probably been sitting around in a warehouse for months to years

Spitz.me

#124: Post by Spitz.me »

I can certainly understand this sentiment. It's not a fact, however, that coffee off Amazon is always really old inventory. Like any other online retailer, it depends on the seller. I've gotten Italian beans that are within the period we'd prefer - as close to roast date as possible - with these Italian beans and I imagine that others have had the same experience.
LMWDP #670

mathof

#125: Post by mathof »

TangyWasabi wrote:Oh definitely, but anything off Amazon has probably been sitting around in a warehouse for months to years
Amazon has a lot of turnover. Anything popular is likely to be restocked frequently.

Me2
Supporter

#126: Post by Me2 »

With amazon, agree turnover makes it less likely you'll get dodgy beans. However, you can always ask the seller the roast date. If you receive something other than what was stated In their response you can always file a A to Z claim.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#127: Post by yakster »

My point was that Marshals/TJ Maxx are discount stores that offer closeouts and stock their stores so the freshness of the coffee is in question.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Me2
Supporter

#128: Post by Me2 »

FYI swapped messages with Caffe' Cartapani Cinquestelle seller (Christian) on Amazon. Best by date of 5/22 is 2 years from roast, so beans were roasted May 2020.

Ordered. Got the vac seal ready and coffee freezers at -35 to -40F.

*****EDIT*****
If folks are interested in buying on amazon, seller has a 15% coupon... CINQUESTELLE.

tv79

#129: Post by tv79 »

Me2 wrote:FYI swapped messages with Caffe' Cartapani Cinquestelle seller (Christian) on Amazon. Best by date of 5/22 is 2 years from roast, so beans were roasted May 2020.
Confirmed. The Best Before date on the bag I received from Christian yesterday is 5/13/2022.

I'm only 1 shot in but pleasantly surprised so far. 15g ground at my typical starting point for Northern Italian coffees. Shot ran a bit fast but was very smooth with decent crema. I'll go just a hair finer tomorrow, which if today's shot was any indication should get me pretty close to dialed in.

coffee_Me

#130: Post by coffee_Me »

Just opened Cartapani Cinquestelle and gave it a shot today.
Well balanced acidity & sweetness, indeed very sweet and no bitterness at all. But less creamy and richness. For my comfort food like straight espresso, I prefer something thicker and creamier.

Then I went to check the company site description for fun, actually it's quite accurate.