The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 12

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
drH
Supporter ♡

#111: Post by drH »

Spitz.me wrote:BTW, the Lavazza Gold Selection is by far, the best blend I've tried. I haven't tried a ton, but it's no competition here. There is none of that rubbery robusta flavour.

My experience is pulling them at low 190s temp and at a ratio of about 1.5 or less, gets me the best tasting shots. I do a bit of lever-voodoo on the BDB as well. I preinfuse at 3bar until small drips and then ramp and hold at 9bar until about half weight and then decline down to 3bar to end.

These types of ristretto-like shots are much sweeter and less smokey. This has been true for Lavazza's Top Class, Super Crema, Gold Selection and also with Kimbo's Superiod blend. I've gotten great results just doing my usual 18g doses in my 18g VST basket. Of course, YMMV depending on your taste preference and roast level/blend.

I've experimented and found no need to change my basket or dose size for my preferences. Using a 14g dose just makes the process more complicated for me with no additional benefit. The less I have to do between coffees, the better.

Can you add some context to this? If you are pulling these so short and cool why aren't they underextracted? Is it simply because you grind fine enough to keep the shot time at 25-30s--so fine grind short shot?

Phillycheese (original poster)

#112: Post by Phillycheese (original poster) »

BTW- does anyone know where to get the Cartapani Cinquestelle. We went through our first kilo in record time and want to re-order but Amazon is sold out. Guess we had too much interest. BTW_ it was great and will provide a report on our findings here soon.

pc

mathof

#113: Post by mathof replying to Phillycheese »

You could try Amazon Italy. I don't know what the shipping cost would be.

https://www.amazon.it/Cartapani-1951-CI ... B07JQ232Z8

mathof

#114: Post by mathof replying to mathof »

I see that Amazon UK has some available, too. That's where I got mine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carpani+ci ... nb_sb_noss

Spitz.me

#115: Post by Spitz.me »

drH wrote: Can you add some context to this? If you are pulling these so short and cool why aren't they underextracted? Is it simply because you grind fine enough to keep the shot time at 25-30s--so fine grind short shot?
I'm not sure what to say. I work at my extractions, but I don't really study them. I just go about dialing in the coffee to my taste preferences. Typically when someone asks about over or under extraction it's about how to correct your shot. My shots taste great - to me.

I'm pulling a ristretto by definition. Typically a bad ristretto tastes over extracted, not under extracted. Obviously better barista's than I exist on this forum because I have a hard time getting tasty normale shots from the Italian coffee blends I've tried. These coffees, very quickly get to "too bitter" in that final 1/3 of the shot. I do prefer, however, the ristretto 1-1.5 brew ratio for these coffees because the mouthfeel and sweetness tend to be best around that range.

I finished my Lavazza Gold Selection and I will buy again. I've been a part of many of these exploration threads on Italian roasted coffees and the Gold Selection has never come up, yet it's the best one I've tried - albeit, I haven't tried tons!
LMWDP #670

coffee_Me

#116: Post by coffee_Me »

:lol: This is fun! Also ordered some to try since I was a little tired of acidity. Passalacqua Harem is still on the way.
So far opened Caffe Hausbrandt Nonnetti only, very strong, nutty, peanut butter mouthfeel. Because I drink espresso only, it's slightly bitter. I had Lavazza Super Crema before, remember it's quite ok, rich, creamy, nutty and chocolate flavor with no bitterness at all. Cannot wait to open them all :lol:
And after a few cups of Italian blend, I begin to miss acidity again, need to rotate these beans.

LVD

#117: Post by LVD »

another_jim wrote:No need to reinvent the wheel: 14 to 15 gram double, ground fine, but not too ristretto, nor too hot. It's got a pretty big sweet spot, but if you do get a hint of bitter, go cooler or more lungo.

I took Jim's advice for the Cinquestelle parameters and pulled out the stock double basket for my Synchronika. 15:28 in 30 seconds, 197F. It tasted just how he described it- a pure Nutella shot.

tv79

#118: Post by tv79 »

My bag of Cinquestelle just arrived. Looking forward to seeing how it fares with the Robot tomorrow. Hopefully the lower temps and reported large sweet spot will make it a winner.

Me2

#119: Post by Me2 »

Phillycheese wrote:BTW- does anyone know where to get the Cartapani Cinquestelle. We went through our first kilo in record time and want to re-order but Amazon is sold out. Guess we had too much interest. BTW_ it was great and will provide a report on our findings here soon.

pc
It's up on Amazon US again. Not a bad price. How does it stack up against Hausbrandt and Harem?

Caffe' Cartapani Cinquestelle Whole Bean Coffee, Premium Quality Italian Espresso Blend , Medium Roast, 2.2-Pound Bag, Roasted in Italy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQ232Z8/re ... eFb7E57EAD

Enjoybettercoffee has a decent price of Caffe Hausbrandt btw.

I've got to get through some Mr. Espresso Neapolitan before I order a couple bags of "Italiano" beans.

slybarman

#120: Post by slybarman replying to Me2 »

Good to see they re-stock regularly. This is still on my list. Don't know what is wrong with me, but I wanted it even more when I found out I couldn't get any. :lol: