The hunt for best Italian roasted coffee beans - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Phillycheese (original poster)

#11: Post by Phillycheese (original poster) »

chipman wrote:Did you come across Hausbrandt, a roaster IIRC from Trieste? Very delicious northern Italian style.
I saw this brand on one of the threads and it caught my attention due to the German name- Hausbrandt but i didn't think much of it since the Germans haven't been known for great coffee- in my personal opinion only- I lived in Munich for a spell also. But if they are from Trieste I'll see if I can score some. Where should I buy them from and which are the best to try out? It looks like they have many to choose from. Thanks for your help...

Philly

Phillycheese (original poster)

#12: Post by Phillycheese (original poster) »

yakster wrote:Some of the best coffee I had in Milan was at the hotel I was staying at in Vimercate, they said it was Hausbrandt.
I am looking into Hausbrandt now- cool history on Hermann Hausbrandt from Austria Captain of the Merchant Marine back in 1892. Any thoughts on which coffee to choose?

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
yakster
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yakster »

I haven't had any since my work trips to Italy, but let us know what you think if you pick some up.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by dparrish »

Phillycheese wrote:I have tried the espresso Vivace Dolce and Vita- they are very close to the Northern Italian sweet caramel and chocolate flavors I am searching for. I just finished a kilo of Danesi which was good and a kilo of Kimbo which was oily and dark- interesting and great with an affogato but not the flavors I had in mind. The ones you mention above are Napoli style dark I assume? How would you describe the Caffe Lusso Gran Miscela Carmo?
Caffe Umbria's Gusto Crema is caramel with fig notes, and one of my favorites. It would classify as Northern Italian, just into 2nd crack. Gran Miscela Carmo is a favorite of many here and is a similar roast, but has some deeper chocolate flavors (the Gusto,Crema is more milk cnocolate) but without the fig note. And Passalacqua is indeed Southern Italian, but is is incredibly complex with deep chocolate notes, which go very well with a cappuccino:). The two Passalacqua blends I drink (Miscela de Napoli and Harem) are all arabica, which may make a difference taste wise compared to what you may have tried, since many Southern Italian blends traditionally have some robusta. All of the above are traditional blends/roasts and lower acidity.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#15: Post by baristainzmking » replying to dparrish »

Where do you buy Passalacqua blends?
Julia

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by dparrish » replying to baristainzmking »

I order from the eurochibi mega store (eurochibi.com). The shipping isn't cheap, but with ordering a couple of 1000g bags it doesn't really cost me too much more than buying local, and I freeze what I don't use immediately. If I could find something local (or US side) that compares I would do that instead, but I've come to the conclusion the Italians have some roasting/blending secrets for good espresso that they aren't sharing:). Their dark roast is unlike anything else here I have yet tried.

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#17: Post by baristainzmking »

dparrish wrote: I order from the eurochibi mega store (eurochibi.com). The shipping isn't cheap, but with ordering a couple of 1000g bags it doesn't really cost me too much more than buying local, and I freeze what I don't use immediately. If I could find something local (or US side) that compares I would do that instead, but I've come to the conclusion the Italians have some roasting/blending secrets for good espresso that they aren't sharing:). Their dark roast is unlike anything else here I have yet tried.
Thanks, I will check them out. My husband really likes the darker, Italian roasts! :)

Edited to add that they do ship to U.S? And the site is also in Italian, is there a translator?
Julia

CafelatStore: home of Cafelat products online
Sponsored by CafelatStore
dparrish
Supporter ♡

#18: Post by dparrish » replying to baristainzmking »

Yes, they ship worldwide. Look for the flag symbol at the top, there's one with an American/British flag, which will give you English. The prices listed are in euros, so you have to do your own currency conversion estimate. I think shipping to the US is somewhere around 30 euros, and under normal times it is quick.They have a newsletter you may want to sign up for. I ordered some coffee right before the pandemic hit northern Italy. The coffee is generally within several months of roast date, although the bags are sealed well and as has been discussed elsewhere here, this doesn't seem to impact the flavor of the coffee negatively (although I'd LOVE to get my hands on just roasted to compare). I would be shocked if your husband didn't like Passalacqua-it's IMO a cut above:).

baristainzmking
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by baristainzmking » replying to dparrish »

Wow, $30 euros to ship!!! :roll: .
Julia

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#20: Post by dparrish » replying to baristainzmking »

You have to decide if it's worth it to you. The euro to dollar exchange has been pretty good of late and the cost for me doesn't amount to more than about $20 per pound, higher than what I'd pay locally, but it's a treat (not everyday coffee) that's worth it to me.