How to try different coffee blends?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 11, 2018, 6:04 pm

Hi,

I was wondering what is the best way to try different coffee blends (or in my case single origins).
My local roaster sells like 7 different ones I'm interested in (I tend to prefer something from C/S America over something like Ethiopian).

How do you suggest I should try all of them? Getting 100g of each and just using them up? Or maybe just 2 or 3 different ones at a time but higher volume?

RockyIII

Postby RockyIII » Jun 13, 2018, 6:05 pm

Hi Jaka,

I don't know what others do, but I buy my favorite espresso beans weekly, and then every few weeks I buy a bag of something new that I haven't tried before. That way I know I'm going to have really good espresso almost all the time but with the occasional addition of something new for a variety.

I usually buy 12 ounce bags. If you only buy 100 grams, then if it takes a few shots to dial in the grind you won't have much left to enjoy for a few days.

I enjoyed the La Marzocco Home espresso subscription for a few months last year. It was a good way for me to try new and different beans, but the timing of the shipments didn't always fit my schedule so I discontinued it.

Rocky

emradguy

Postby emradguy » Jun 14, 2018, 3:02 pm

Kinda depends on your workflow ya know? If you have two grinders you have more flexibility. Otherwise you'll be dialing in back and forth unless you take the gamble and get bigger sample batches. Me, I usually just go big when trying something new. I'll get 3-5# and stick with it to really get to know it. That said, I've got a few grinders and am planning on dialing in a s.o. bean on one of them so I can jump back and forth between it and one of my staple blends.

happycat

Postby happycat » replying to emradguy » Jun 14, 2018, 10:11 pm

My rookie mistake years ago was failing to do this.

By the time I dialed in a roast, the bag was empty and I was trying something else.
LMWDP #603

Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 15, 2018, 3:35 am

Well, I got 2 different ones of 250g. Hope it is enough.

emradguy

Postby emradguy » Jun 15, 2018, 1:16 pm

You might want to start by cupping it. You'll probably use close to half of it just dialing in.

Capac

Postby Capac » Jun 15, 2018, 7:31 pm

That's a good idea. Both bags will be gone before I dial in each of them properly.