Canadian Roaster Recommendations - Page 3

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
PIXIllate (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#21: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote:Yes, I'm recommending my go-to blends.

Manic Coffee in Toronto is now shipping their blend too. They're blend my most regular purchase. It's really nice and sweet and forgiving.
Thanks Tony. This has been very helpful.

Supporter ♡

#22: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote:Yes, I'm recommending my go-to blends.

Manic Coffee in Toronto is now shipping their blend too. They're blend my most regular purchase. It's really nice and sweet and forgiving.
If I order the Manic blend should I try anything else from there? Are the Intelligentsia beans as good as all of the talk?

Advertisement
Supporter ♡

#23: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote: As mentioned, the Old School from 49th is nice. Lately I'm preferring blends that emphasize sweetness like the comfort blends with some berry or dry fruit element. The Middle School Espresso is more to my liking.
Just to follow-up on this. I did go ahead and order an assortment from 49th Parallel. The Old School was very much to my liking. I was still working on shot mechanics and grinder issues while I was drinking it but it seemed to be very much what I was looking for. I've just finished up a bag of Middle School and I have to say it was less of a good time for me. Their recommendations for all of these beans seem to be the same at 2:1-200-201 degrees @ 9 bar in 28-32 seconds. The Old School is a blend and visually not much darker than the Middle School which is a Single Origin. The Middle School presented as very acidic to me when pulled like they suggested. Today I just started a bag of their Blue Sky dark roast. Again same brew parameters from them which seems odd. These beans are oily and MUCH different in roast level than the other two. Here they are compared to the Middle School:

The taste of these when pulled to recipe was not good IMO. Very roasty with no sweetness and very little chocolate. I'm going to try them at a lower temperature (195F tomorrow) and I was also thinking of flow profiles to bring back some balance. Maybe they are just too dark for me? But the roast flavors were even too intense in a Cappuccino.

I also have some of the Manic blend on the way. Shipping is a bit prohibitive to do them on a regular basis but I'm looking forward to trying it.

splashalot

#24: Post by splashalot »

In some of the WLL grinder videos Marc often comments that he is using Italian style coffee and how much he likes it. Maybe you could ask WLL? Or have a look at a few of his random grinder videos, you're sure to come across the name of the roast at some stage.

Edit: Here's one. 6:25 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbe10hYFoNY

IMAWriter

#25: Post by IMAWriter »

Coffee Mio Espresso...and Italian type blend roasted in Australia is fresher than even Kimbo Superior, my 2nd choice for bagged Italian beans. TONS of crema, medium-ish to slightly dark, no oil.
I realize you purchased the Lavazza due to it being cheaper at Costco, but know big box stores like Costco often sell products like coffee maybe longer of tooth. I love Costco...30+ years, but it's the same at Trader Joes, etc.

If you want to spend less, try Josuma's Malabar Gold, roasted freshly every week...or Red Bird's Blue Jaguar.

Supporter ♡

#26: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

splashalot wrote:In some of the WLL grinder videos Marc often comments that he is using Italian style coffee and how much he likes it. Maybe you could ask WLL? Or have a look at a few of his random grinder videos, you're sure to come across the name of the roast at some stage.

Edit: Here's one. 6:25 in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbe10hYFoNY

I have watched those videos and they are helpful. Although I'm not currently using real Italian "stale" bean blends as he was but just freshly roasted blends that are attempting that style.

Spitz.me

#27: Post by Spitz.me »

PIXIllate wrote:Just to follow-up on this. I did go ahead and order an assortment from 49th Parallel. The Old School was very much to my liking. I was still working on shot mechanics and grinder issues while I was drinking it but it seemed to be very much what I was looking for. I've just finished up a bag of Middle School and I have to say it was less of a good time for me. Their recommendations for all of these beans seem to be the same at 2:1-200-201 degrees @ 9 bar in 28-32 seconds. The Old School is a blend and visually not much darker than the Middle School which is a Single Origin. The Middle School presented as very acidic to me when pulled like they suggested. Today I just started a bag of their Blue Sky dark roast. Again same brew parameters from them which seems odd. These beans are oily and MUCH different in roast level than the other two. Here they are compared to the Middle School:

The taste of these when pulled to recipe was not good IMO. Very roasty with no sweetness and very little chocolate. I'm going to try them at a lower temperature (195F tomorrow) and I was also thinking of flow profiles to bring back some balance. Maybe they are just too dark for me? But the roast flavors were even too intense in a Cappuccino.

I also have some of the Manic blend on the way. Shipping is a bit prohibitive to do them on a regular basis but I'm looking forward to trying it.
I think you'll like the Manic. It's a nicer blend than the Old School with a bit more character (acid) - best way I can describe it. My only issue with the Old School is that it's pretty boring, even the Lavazza Gold Selection had more depth and sweetness to it. I say "even" because we're talking about beans that aren't fresh so my brain still can't comprehend why I can make super tasty shots with them! :mrgreen:

I haven't had the Blue Sky in a really long time, but they look to be roasted to about the same level that I remember. I'd go ristretto with these darker/oily roasts. Nothing that comes after the first half is going to be much more than adding more bitterness.

I just got some Lionshare from Caffe Lusso and I haven't really been able to get anything I like from it. I'm really disappointed. I wanted to try a fresh roasted coffee with some robusta in it and it's just not something I relish drinking. I feel like I'm doing something wrong, but I pulled it every which way at this point so I'm taking the "L" here.

On roaster parameters - it's difficult to say that anything they tell you to do will work since machines, water... things are pretty different in a way that do affect the shot.

Definitely try cooler temps if you're getting a lot of bitterness/ashiness - that or loosen that grind - with the darker roasts. I have lots of luck with cooler temps and pulling a ristretto 1-1.5 ratio.

If you can, try preinfusing/pre-wetting the puck.

Good luck!

Edit - I'm not latte pro/perfectionist, but I have learned that if you split your latte pour into two you can minimize the bitterness of these darker coffees. You might do this already... I mix some of the milk with the coffee (swirled for a bit) and then I finish the latte pour.
LMWDP #670

Advertisement
Supporter ♡

#28: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) replying to Spitz.me »

Thanks. I ended up at about a 1.66 (18g in 30g out) at 192 degrees for the Blue Sky and it seemed to become a pleasant Molasses monster at that kind of pour. I've since learned from people who run cafes in Montreal that the west coast water makes enough of a difference that the suggestion on the 49th Parallel bag is unlikely to work on the east coast (or elsewhere).

Supporter ♡

#29: Post by PIXIllate (original poster) »

Spitz.me wrote:I think you'll like the Manic.

Started the bag today. It was roasted on the 23rd and has been in the freezer for 5-6 days so it's already getting on in age. Took me 3 shots to get to a 2:1 ratio. I guess my overriding comment would be smooth. Very pleasant with chocolate and nuttiness. I tried it at 18g at 201C and would not have minded a bit more "character" so I'm going to try a bit higher dose at 200C. One thing I will say is I don't think I've had pours from the bottomless that were that clean and utterly spot free in a long time. Looking forward to tomorrows round. Thanks for the recommendation. I think you gave me exactly what I asked for.

Spitz.me

#30: Post by Spitz.me »

I'm really glad that you've been able to test and experiment and find something you like. I'm happy it was one of my recommendations, although I know it's not a relatively cheap route. On the topic of price/value, you can try espresso blends from Social - they roast/blend the Manic espresso. They have free shipping over a certain amount.

Also, you're quite the new student to the espresso game. I feel like you can school me and I've been down this rabbit whole for 10 years! Hope you're enjoying yourself!
LMWDP #670