How long to wait before drinking a brewed espresso shot? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
thepilgrimsdream

#11: Post by thepilgrimsdream »

Lungo/Normale range, I like to let cool.

Ristrettoa, drink it while it's hot!

bluesman

#12: Post by bluesman »

zany13 wrote:But do you also get better note detection when you wait for it to cool a bit?
I find espresso and wine to behave similarly (although for different reasons) - the nose and taste evolve with time in the cup / glass. Good ones remain good as they change, and many improve. One of the characteristics of a good espresso, capp etc is that it continues to taste good as it cools all the way to room temp. Different notes come and go......it's alive!

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by jwCrema »

One of my final test points on a grind for a roast is to put it in the refrigerator after pulling the shot and have it about 4 hours later. Basically this is pull it in the morning and have it at lunch. The difference is amazing - but I still drink it hot.

h3yn0w

#14: Post by h3yn0w »

I prefer to let it cool down A minute or 2. Using a larger cup speeds up the process (e.g. Cappuccino cup). But I never cared much for a room temperature cup. I much prefer a warmed cup.

A good coffee will taste good at cooler temps. A bad coffee will not, and all its flaws will be exposed. It's much easier for a coffee to taste drinkable if it's really really hot, as the heat masks some of the bad flavours.

zany13 (original poster)

#15: Post by zany13 (original poster) »

Ok thanks, I will keep these useful points in mind.

Yeah I think when its piping hot isn't the most civilized way of enjoying the espresso. I will wait at least 2 minutes before consuming.

Spitz.me

#16: Post by Spitz.me »

I haven't been pre-heating cups for years. I also don't use glass or double walled glass cups because they don't absorb heat as quickly as ceramic. I want my shot to be easy to drink, both in temperature and in taste. I've had one too many shots in "charming" glassware that required a fair bit of stirring and sitting to cool to drinking temperatures.

Once I realized that I didn't need the cup to be hot or my espresso to burn the tip of my tongue to get great tasting shots, I became more consistent.
LMWDP #670

wachuko

#17: Post by wachuko »

I am been trying soooo many different coffee beans in the last few weeks that it is not even funny. Wife yesterday told me "no more buying beans until you run out"... glad I ordered the Vivace Dolce the day before... :lol:

Anyway, this is to say that for me it seems to depend on the coffee... some, drinking straight from the pull while nice and hot... some, due to the level of acidity, I have to let them sit just a minute to really enjoy them. I do mix everything as I put just a bit of white sugar in my espressos... I have not been able to drink one without it.. Oh and this has been using the Breville 870, I have yet to get anything decent from the Rocket - all user/newbie related as I am still learning.

I do warm the cups simply because they are way too cold in the mornings. I just use the water from the flush to warm the cup, not burning hot...
Searching for that perfect espresso!

Wachuko - LMWDP #654