How long for coffee beans to degas?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Idfixe

#1: Post by Idfixe »

I'd like to hear what people do in terms of letting your coffees degas?

I freeze my beans and like to have them ready to use when going into the freezer so I typically let city- city+ roasts rest for 7 days and then freeze.
Lighter roasts, I will let degas for longer, like 10 days.
I'm asking as sometimes (rarely), I've had coffees tasting well... coffee and open up flavors later as I used my bag...

What is your experience? Do you vary based on roast, origin, bean type?
Thanks!

keno

#2: Post by keno »

This topic has been discussed many times in other threads, so you may want to use the search function and read some of those.

But generally, I'd agree with you that 1-3 weeks is the sweet spot. Lighter roasts benefit from more time than darker roasts (and washed coffees more than naturals due to bean density/porosity). Method of preparation matters - the window for espresso is smaller than for drip brew methods. Many people obsess too much over freshness. Store bought coffee is often way past its prime and a 6 month sell by date is too long, but a month or even a bit more is not a problem IMO.

cheez

#3: Post by cheez »

For espresso 3 to 6 weeks depending on roast level and individual coffee

http://www.squaremileblog.com/2020/02/2 ... freshness/

jpender

#4: Post by jpender »

Square Mile Coffee wrote:...coffee loses density and moisture as it ages...
Huh? Why would that happen?

lukehk
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by lukehk »

Interesting read from square mile. It looks like the different periods of aging are when they open the bag. I would be interested in how a bag opened after say 1 week changes over the next 2 weeks in comparison to a bag opened after a month over the following 2 weeks. Do beans left to degas for longer get affected by aging quicker?