Homeroasted coffee vs. commercially roasted "pro" coffee - Page 5

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Jasonian

#41: Post by Jasonian »

JonR10 wrote: ASIDE: Jim & Ken - if you're reading this you will happy to know I am on a low-dose double normale binge and I'm grinding finer and tamping lighter. My deeper baskets have been idle for weeks now as I play with the 14-16g double shot......
I'm not Jim or Ken, but you can guess my reaction to reading such words from the fingers of JonR10.
"Pro" coffee roaster. Ex barista trainer, competitor, consultant.

Marshall

#42: Post by Marshall »

For those who wonder why home roasters can provoke such a strong reaction from pros (and the people who respect them), I offer this gem from the Behmor website under "Why Home Roast?:"

One of the truest statements ever made about home roasting coffee is "the worst home roasted coffee is better than anything you can buy".

It doesn't get much more offensive than that.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Advertisement
another_jim
Team HB

#43: Post by another_jim replying to Marshall »

It would be offensive if he had properly written "any" instead of "anything." As written, I think I'd prefer the all paid six month around the world tour.
Jim Schulman

Randy G.

#44: Post by Randy G. »

Marshall wrote:For those who wonder why home roasters can provoke such a strong reaction from pros (and the people who respect them), I offer this gem from the Behmor website under "Why Home Roast?:"

One of the truest statements ever made about home roasting coffee is "the worst home roasted coffee is better than anything you can buy".

It doesn't get much more offensive than that.
Maybe someone needs to send him a pound of green Robusta from Viet Nam... Is "Goodyear" an SCAA accepted descriptive term for the follow of these beans?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done