His Majesty the Coffee impressions

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Altair

#1: Post by Altair »

It seems a few people are interested in this roaster and I recieved my first order from them today. I will be posting my impressions here.

For reference, I have been into home espresso for 6+ years, in which time I have had the good fortune to try some of the most well respected roasters from across the worold as I traveled or ordered in. I would say I can rate espresso fairly well though I don't have the pallete that can differentiate most of the exotic flavors on bags.

As far as first impressions, the dispatch was quick, and the beans where roasted on the day of shipment. They arrived with a one week anniversary, what I would say is just about ready for the darker roasted beans. Packaging is good, though I wish the one killo bags where resealable so I could stick them in the freezer right away.

Altair (original poster)

#2: Post by Altair (original poster) »

First coffee I have tried was the Brazilian Fazenda, a yellow bourbon naturally processed roasted to what I would call medium-dark, though most who are used to light roasted speciality beans might call it a dark roast.

I was very excited to try this particular coffee and was surprised to find it was very easy to dial in! Surprisingly so! The first shot was drained as it took 45+ seconds for a 1:2, second was great and very enjoyable, third was even better as I decided to go to a 1:2.5 and a bit coarse. Tremendous amount of chocolate, caramel, and a SMOOTH coffee and cream aftertatse. They describe apricot on the bag and I don't get that at all, but do get a slightly acidic and sweet kick in the middle of the pallete, just enough to add interest without being distracting or jarring. Gorgeous coffee! I found myself revisiting the empty cup trying to get an extra drop out. As I wrire this I can only describe the experience as akin to having a great teramiso in terms of effect. Very satisfying, rich, and well rounded. Glad I got two kilos of this.

I also did a latte for the wife and she went bananas for it. Beyond highly recommended

Altair (original poster)

#3: Post by Altair (original poster) »

Second coffee from HMC to try was Dark Side of the Modetta, a blend of several rich beans from several countries including Brazil, Honduras, and India. This is as dark as it gets as far as roasting is concerned.

This was a blend that I was very interested in because I had always relished the old days of espresso, before I ever contemplated getting into home espresso. The only time I ever came into contact with the coffee was during my trips to Italy in the late 90s, back then you could get an espresso from a shack in the underground and it would be fantastic, I remember always being served a small crisp or cookie and a shot glass of sparkling water with every espresso order almost everywhere. It had its own taste that had long been bastardized, today if you order an espresso in Italy the quality and the pride are just not there.

I was hoping to find a speciality Italian roaster who maintained the familiar traditional Italian roast profiles and target espresso style with modern speciality coffee standards. I am glad to report that HMC is it.

This took me five shots to dial in close enough to drinkable, still needs work, but the quality is there and the espresso profile is evident, very robust, loooooooooong pleasent aftertaste, I am not a milk person usualy but thought this would make a great flat white and I was right, a reduced amount of milk mellowed the coffee and the sweetness actually brought out more character. This is a great blend to practice dial in capabilities and make robust milk drinks with. After breakfast milk drinks. Strong stuff. Also, in the traditional Italian fashion, if you are looking for an espresso to dunk a crisp or cookie into, so that the cookie gets a rich coffee flavor and the espresso gets some sugar to mellow out, this is perfect for that and a high quality, elevated dunking experience. It has its place.

As a straight espresso, would not go for this specific blend, the Fazenda hit the spot on another level. I also purchased the Modeta blend, which is a tamer roast and blend profile. I will see how that fares tomorow, I expect I will like that a bit more.