Help with Metropolis Redline

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
jasonmolinari

#1: Post by jasonmolinari »

I haven't had redline in a long while, and just ordered a couple pounds because I remember enjoying it.
It's about 7/10 days post roast and I'm having trouble pulling shots with any body or thickness.

I'm at 18.5g dose, 199deg, 30g out in 25 second. I've tried varying/upping the dose and temp and times, but i've gotten interesting flavors but all of them have little mouthfeel and body. They feel very thin.

It may just be the blend, which i imagine has changed over the years, but wondering if others are having similar experiences.

slybarman

#2: Post by slybarman »

I have been very frustrated at times over the years with redline. When it is good, I swear it is the best cup I have ever had - I hear a chorus of angels singing as I drink it. Then, a couple months later, with no change in my process, it tastes like total crap. I eventually concluded the issue was on their end.

Can't say for sure that is the case for you, but that was my experience.

desmodici

#3: Post by desmodici »

My last batch of Redline about 6-7 months ago was extremely light roasted and always came out thin with a flat sour taste. Like you, I just couldn't get a good cup out of it.

I used to drink it regularly about 8 years ago and it was my absolute favorite. I don't remember it being anywhere close to the light roast level I got in the last batch.

I plan on trying it again in a few months as I may have just gotten a bad batch or the specific blend at the time was just off.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#4: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to desmodici »

Confused - why are you not getting on the phone with them and giving them the feedback and possibly having them replace it?

Feedback is essential so they know they missed the mark?
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

ilVecchio

#5: Post by ilVecchio »

I had the same experience about a year ago. It was replaced and the 2nd batch was no better. They're roasting very light, not to my taste.
Like you, it was once my go to blend.

Try Redbird, Klatch or Lusso.

jasonmolinari (original poster)

#6: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

I can certainly call them, or email them, and i might, but didn't know if the issue was on my end, which would be more likely.

It is much lighter roast than it used to be...i guess they've moved towards the sour 3rd wave blends...so be it. I'll shoot them an email, but i assume it's just how it is now.

I guess i'm glad to hear it's not just me.

desmodici

#7: Post by desmodici »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Confused - why are you not getting on the phone with them and giving them the feedback and possibly having them replace it?

Feedback is essential so they know they missed the mark?
Given a few here feel the same way, I will drop them a note with the feedback.
If it was a blend that I ordered regularly and could confidently say that a specific batch was off, I likely would have mentioned to them at the time.
Given there are so many variables that impact the outcome with espresso and there is subjectivity to liking a particular blend, I typically attribute disliking of a particular blend to those factors and just move on to something else.

BaristaBoy E61

#8: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

jasonmolinari wrote:
I'm at 18.5g dose, 199deg, 30g out in 25 second. I've tried varying/upping the dose and temp and times, but i've gotten interesting flavors but all of them have little mouthfeel and body. They feel very thin.

I would try tightening the grind. 25sec seems rather fast.
Can you do a line pressure preinfusion; are you direct plumbed?
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

#9: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

BaristaBoy E61 wrote:I would try tightening the grind. 25sec seems rather fast.
Can you do a line pressure preinfusion; are you direct plumbed?
I am direct plumbed so i could open the valve without turning the pump on. I can certainly try that. I've tightened it up a little, i'm now closer to 30 seconds for draw.

I've emailed them, and asked the same question...if/when they reply i'll post it here.

#10: Post by jasonmolinari (original poster) »

I wrote Metropolis and received this as a reply. I guess i feel better that i wasn't imagining the drift/change over the past couple years. Must say, i liked it a lot better before.

"Hey Jason,

Thanks so much for the inquiry or for revisiting the redline. Our typical "sweet spot" usually falls in the 201 degrees, 18.5 in 35 out in 25-30. My suggestion when trying to pull more body out is usually to raise the dose which it sounds like you've done. I will say I do feel the Redline has taken a turn towards the lighter and brighter in the last couple years which has definitely cut in to the body. When i'm in the mood for a more syrupy shot I'll usually switch my standard basket out for a triple with a 21-22 gram dose. I'm not sure how helpful this was for you so please let me know what more I can do.

Have a great day and happy brewing!"
\