Help with Malabar Gold

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Phaedrus

#1: Post by Phaedrus »

I received five pounds of MBG last week and I've been playing around with dialing it in for straight shots. Roast date was 3/19. After making a few test shots as per their recommendations, I noticed pretty quickly that this stuff has a higher caffeine content than the Kimbo Superior that I usually pull. I'd like to bring the dose down to the "traditional" 14g but I cant seem to get a shot that isn't bitter. I've tried the temp at 200, 201, 202 and 203. I'll admit I have a hard time telling the difference between bitter and sour, so I apologize in advance for my lack of clarity in the question. I'm using a Vetrano 2B Evo with a VST 15g basket dosed with 14g. Grinding on an Atom with WDT results in some of the most beautiful pours I've ever seen; I'm just not getting a lot of sweetness and instead getting bitter up front and bitter aftertaste as well. Can anyone give me some tips?

Many thanks!

Rob

chipman

#2: Post by chipman »

Josuma sends the basic brewing instructions if you order from them. They say to brew hotter, between 203--205. They also say to use a triple basket with a dose between 18-19gm.

https://www.josuma.com/wp-content/uploa ... g_2007.pdf

IMAWriter

#3: Post by IMAWriter »

You mentioned the roast date, but did you let it rest at least 7 days after the roast date? That coffee wants longer shots, at least 45-60 grams...80%+ will be crema, and recommend swirling the cup, or a quick stir with a demitasse spoon. you MAY have trouble extricating the spoon form all the crema. haha
Yes, there is a bit more caffeine, but not much more than Superior, which I've had as well. The Robusta in MG is of the very highest quality, Indian sourced.

Phaedrus (original poster)

#4: Post by Phaedrus (original poster) replying to IMAWriter »

I let the first bag rest 5 days before opening it. I couldn't help myself! Tell me more about your long pulls, since that's far outside the what the standard recipe states. What's your dose, temp, etc for a 45 to 60 gram shot?

Bret

#5: Post by Bret »

They also mention grinding a fair bit finer than normal. I've been grinding fine, 19G into a 18g VST, tamp to full compression (top of puck is just at or slightly above the ridge, pulling at 204-205 deg for a 36-40g output. Small moves on grind size will affect taste, and sometimes just a one degree shift in temp is the trick, too.

I'm going to speculate that the 14g dose is the primary issue, grind size not being fine enough might be an issue once you up-dose to 18-19g.

BillBurrGrinder

#6: Post by BillBurrGrinder »

Phaedrus wrote:I received five pounds of MBG last week and I've been playing around with dialing it in for straight shots. Roast date was 3/19. After making a few test shots as per their recommendations, I noticed pretty quickly that this stuff has a higher caffeine content than the Kimbo Superior that I usually pull. I'd like to bring the dose down to the "traditional" 14g but I cant seem to get a shot that isn't bitter. I've tried the temp at 200, 201, 202 and 203. I'll admit I have a hard time telling the difference between bitter and sour, so I apologize in advance for my lack of clarity in the question. I'm using a Vetrano 2B Evo with a VST 15g basket dosed with 14g. Grinding on an Atom with WDT results in some of the most beautiful pours I've ever seen; I'm just not getting a lot of sweetness and instead getting bitter up front and bitter aftertaste as well. Can anyone give me some tips?

Many thanks!

Rob
Does it taste like lemon juice or does it taste like grapefruit rinds. That's the difference between sour and bitter.

I'm guessing it's underextracted and sour based on other responses. If that's the case...up the temp and grind finer. You can allow the shot to extract for a little longer too... say 5g more extracted coffee letting it run a little longer.

If it's the other (bitter) then you can grind more coarse and take the temp down a bit. Also cutting the shot sooner so the bitters don't get extracted.

Sour:
Lemons
Sour patch kids
Wine
Granny Smith apples

Bitter:
Grapefruit
Citrus rinds (Orange, lemon, grapefruit, etc.) if you ate the rind
Random weeds in the yard
Dirt

It also may just be the beans.

Let us know how it turns out!

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

I've been pulling shots of the Gold yesterday (6 days rest) & today(7). Temps ranged from 201.5F to 203F/18g dose in an HQ14 basket with a 28g yield. Getting nice creamy, chocolaty shots. Nothing sour or bitter.
LMWDP 267

IMAWriter

#8: Post by IMAWriter replying to JohnB. »

As it has always been for me. I should clarify. Years ago, with an Anita, I pulled longer shots, using a Synesso 18 gram basket...
I haven't had as much time with MG the past few years, as my levers...such as the MCAL barely allowed 15 grams. Those shots were about 30-32 grams.
Still VERY good, but not like they were in the Strega. John, which machine were you using for MG?

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

IMAWriter wrote: John, which machine were you using for MG?
The first 2 days the shots were pulled on my Speedster w/Idro Matic. Today I'll be using the Bosco Sorrento.
LMWDP 267

IMAWriter

#10: Post by IMAWriter replying to JohnB. »

Lucky You!
MG is definitely it's own coffee, and very consistent. Have fun today.