Help with Malabar Gold - Page 9

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
def

#81: Post by def »

I purchased a five-pound bag and partitioned it out to airscape canisters and several peanut butter jars. I like the PB jar size, filled to the brim, and the lid compresses the beans when tightened. Zero cost solution, and one 16 ounce PB jar holds 6 ounces of beans, which works out to about 9 shots. So far this is working well for me with several different beans in the freezer.

stahlee

#82: Post by stahlee »

I'll give you my parameters for my LM GS3 MP.

DOSE: 18 grams
EXTRACTION TIME: 25-30 seconds
YIELD: 25 grams
BREW BOILER TEMP: 202.1F

I'm a light tamping person. I'm also using the triple basket as recommended by Josuma. I find it's best to leave MG cool for a few minutes as it gets better and better. I love MG! I find 25 grams out is the sweet spot for me, no pun intended. Like mentioned, it's still quite good if the shot runs longer than 30 seconds.

Neto

#83: Post by Neto »

Here is my experience with this coffee on a Rocket Cellini (HX) with no PID and with the vidastech thermometer on e61 group head.

DOSE: 18 grams
EXTRACTION TIME: 25 seconds
YIELD: 20 grams
E61 temp: 210F for first flush or like 206-207 for a back to back shot.

Remember that on a HX machine, you cannot maintain the same brew temperature throughout the shot so in order to do their recommendation of 205F, you have to kind of do a little higher on your HX e61. I have attempted to do this shot on lower temperatures at the E61 after a flush but the results is a sour tasting shot and sweetness is not there.

It is a very tricky blend to dial in but if you get it right it is very rewarding.