Help with George Howell Daterra Brazil.

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
F1

#1: Post by F1 »

8 days post roast. I have tried 18g and 20g doses with extraction ratios of 1:2 at 200F and at 203F. I have adjusted the grinder to give me that ratio at 26secs, 32secs and 40secs. The equipment is an E61 double boiler and Niche grinder. I also use third wave water. RDT, WDT and Force Tamper as I have done for years. The flavor is incredibly harsh and disgusting no matter what. Almost like dirty rancid brew head. I cleaned both the brewhead and grinder, but it made no difference. Other coffees I have on hand taste just fine. Maybe I have to go even lower or higher on temperature? Before I keep wasting any more beans I figured Id ask here for anyone with experience with these beans. Any suggestions?

spressomon

#2: Post by spressomon »

If its GH Daterra Espresso, Brazil I had very good success most of the summer and into early fall with basic to 1:2 ratio at 8-12 days post roast. I dose 18g in a 20g VST basket (getting big bloom so I needed more headspace than using 18g/18gVST or 20g/20gVST), 10-12 second PI/PB then full brew to 36g in 28-seconds; 200F. Definitely tasted chocolate & nut...couldn't get blueberry as they describe but it was very good just the same.

OTOH, if its GH Daterra Sundrop...well good luck as I could never consistently get anywhere close to tasty with those beans. Out of a couple pounds I had one good pull but couldn't repeat it.
No Espresso = Depresso

F1 (original poster)

#3: Post by F1 (original poster) »

Tried to go lower than 200F and that was a massive mistake. The flavor was even worse. Went back to 203, but his time I pulled a 1:1.5 so 20in/30out in 26secs. That got rid of the rancid disgusting flavor I have experiencing since the very first shot, but the harshness was still very present. I may try to adjust a bit coarser and see what happens, but the harshness is so strong that I dont see a 23sec pull making much of a difference. This is the one part of this hobby that I hate. Spending all morning throwing shot after shot in the sink.