Help with Dharma Espresso by Temple Coffee - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
daveR1
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by daveR1 »

I was in Sacramento last May & visited Temple several times. They were featuring an amazing Guatemalan SO at the time. It was a lighter medium roast that tasted fruity with a very smooth tasting acidity to my relatively unsophisticated palate. Sort of tart but well balanced and definitely not sour.

I also compared it to their Dharma blend and found the Dharma too acidic for my tastes. I asked the barista and he confirmed that Dharma is more acidic and has a bit of a "bite".

Funny thing, when I got home I ordered the Guatemalan SO I liked. When I got the coffee, it just didn't taste like I remembered. I contacted Temple & they said their head roaster had left. Makes me wonder if their coffees in general have changed with a new person at the helm.

grog

#12: Post by grog »

I'm pulling this at 18g/32g out on my La Cimbali M20 Eleva and grinding on a Monolith Flat. I really like this coffee a lot. It has a balance of 'classic' espresso chocolate with some noticeable fruit, but I wouldn't call it acidic. I think it successfully hits a difficult to achieve balance. But I get how this wouldn't be appealing if you're looking for a chocolate and roasted nuts profile. I drink lots of light roasted SOs as espresso so I suspect that's why this doesn't seem acidic to me. Or maybe it just does really well on a lever group?

Also I've not had this before so cannot comment on how it's changed from prior iterations.
LMWDP #514

Advertisement
gr2020

#13: Post by gr2020 »

I haven't had Dharma since 10/2018, so ordered a bag, which I've been drinking for the last week or so. I'm kinda bummed about it - it seems like back in the "good old days" (2018?) it really was dark chocolate and cherries, and it was one of my favorite espressos for milk drinks ever.

Fast forward to today, and the flavor notes on the bag are chocolate, caramel, spice (I think they've been saying that for a while now), and I generally find that consistent with what I'm getting. But I really miss the cherry flavors - to me, that's what really made this coffee special. :(

spressomon

#14: Post by spressomon replying to gr2020 »

Same experience here! I miss the cherry, chocolate and spice from Dharma yesteryear.
No Espresso = Depresso

BobStern

#15: Post by BobStern »

Between April and June 2018, the head roaster and the director of coffee both left Temple. Dharma had been my favorite before that, but I noticed an immediate change, so I stopped buying Temple.

IMAWriter

#16: Post by IMAWriter »

Rob, sounds like you might really like Cafe Vivace's "Dolce Blend." It is right up your alley. David Schomer is a legend, and his roasts are VERY consistent.