Headin' south

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
peacecup

#1: Post by peacecup »

There has been some buzz about Italian and Neapolitan roasts on this forum, but I have not seen much about the little island in the far south of espresso's motherland. I've had a few bags of Miscela D'oro Natura over the past 1-2 years, their organic blend 50/50 Abrabica- Robusta.

Last week I got a kg of their Gran Gourmet 100% Arabica. This afternoon I had what I think was the best espresso shot I've ever pulled, in over 15 years of pulling 3-4 shots a day. So a 1 about 15,000 shot. This stuff is special!

https://www.misceladorousa.com/

If you are looking for authentic Italian taste, have a look at Miscela D'oro. If you have other suggestions from Sicilia, I'd like to hear about them.
LMWDP #049
Hand-ground, hand-pulled: "hands down.."

tifoso in queens

#2: Post by tifoso in queens »

I love Miscela d'Oro! For a while Grand Aroma and Grand Crema were my regular beans. They have beautiful cups, too. Now I want to try Gran Gourmet.

Another good Sicilian brand is Ionia. It is common in Toronto but I have never seen it in NYC. I have tried their Cinque Stelle and Special Bar, and I enjoyed them a lot. My father's favourite coffee was Cinque Stelle.

https://www.ioniacaffe.it/en/catalogue/

There is also Caffe Ginevra, which I have never tried. They used to sell it at Buon Italia, and it looks like it is now available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Caff%C3%A8-Ginev ... 358&sr=8-3

peacecup (original poster)

#3: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

Thanks! I'll have a look at those. The Gran Gourmet is really something.
LMWDP #049

vze26m98

#4: Post by vze26m98 »

I've understood Miscela d'Oro Gran Crema to be a 100% robusta coffee. Nothing wrong with that!

A surprise favorite of mine is from Calabria, Caffé Mauro Classic, an amazing 80-20 blend available I think via Cerini and Eataly in the US, in 500gm bags only, seemingly.

dparrish
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by dparrish »

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be ordering soon :).

peacecup (original poster)

#6: Post by peacecup (original poster) »

I just ordered 4 kg direct from the roasters, delivered to my door, free shipping. They will be arriving next week!
LMWDP #049

realdoctor

#7: Post by realdoctor »

Barbera has excellent dark S. Italian roasts. If you are willing to use just a little sugar, their Sencafe produces an exceptional decaf espresso using a Ponte Vecchio Export. They have several caffeinated options worth considering, including their signature Mago.

realdoctor

#8: Post by realdoctor »

Forgot to mention, I order mine through Aromatico in Hamburg. They will ship all over Europe. Probably to the USA too, but current shipping rates from Germany are high.