Has anyone tried Trader Joe's small lot roast?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
MoreJoePlz

#1: Post by MoreJoePlz » Aug 10, 2019, 3:32 pm

Anyone tried Trader Joe's latest small lot roast yet? I bought a bag, but am in the middle of a bag of Brazil Klatch Diamond Reserve, so the new TJ's coffee is waiting in the freezer for its turn.

Based on a tip from Reddit, I tried their previous roast, the Natural Ethiopia Hambela Peaberry. It was one of the first times I actually tasted one of the tasting notes (blueberry) so dramatically. :D

Coffcarl

#2: Post by Coffcarl » Aug 10, 2019, 3:50 pm

I actually posted a thread in coffeegeek where I mentioned this. I bought about 5 bags of the ethiopia peaberry, and have been brewing espresso shots with it. It has great mouthfeel and sweetness, a kind of grapefruit peel brightness, and a moderate amount of crema. Probably the most successful limited release offering I have tasted so far.

I look forward to trying the Indian.

On a side note, i had Taf To-La reserve yrgacheffe ethiopian at the coffee expo as pourover, and it tasted strongly of blueberries and bananas. It was remarkable. Unfortunately, I don't thInk that coffee roaster exports to the US.

sweaner
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by sweaner » Aug 10, 2019, 7:05 pm

How fresh are they? I would like to try them.
Scott
LMWDP #248

www.coffeefreek.com

Dpablo

#4: Post by Dpablo » Aug 11, 2019, 6:34 pm

Are there roast dates on these bags?

MoreJoePlz

#5: Post by MoreJoePlz » replying to Dpablo » Aug 12, 2019, 10:14 am

I believe so. They use a date format that's common for packaged foods, I'm told (in the same Reddit thread where I found the pointer to the Ethiopian peaberry): day of the year followed by the year. So I think this bag was roasted June 20, the 171th day of 2019. That's corroborated by their best by date which is one year out, which coffee enthusiasts can ignore as way too far out there. :)

I can't remember exactly when I bought the bag but it was a few weeks from the roast date so I stuck them in the freezer.

lsun22

#6: Post by lsun22 » Aug 15, 2019, 1:53 am

oh nice. i had their ethiopian peaberries back in june as well and it was simply amazing. gonna have to grab a bag of this before it's gone!

cmin

#7: Post by cmin » Aug 16, 2019, 10:46 am

I had their Ethiopian after seeing people rave about it on Reddit as well few months ago. Mehh, was mediocre if that. I had literally just finished a Natural Worka from another roaster that was a mind blowing blueberry wallop, and it was leagues beyond TJ Ethiopian that everyone was raving about. Two different bags, extracted pretty much how you'd expect grocery store coffee to extract and taste lol, just a step up from normal crap on the shelf.

Coffcarl

#8: Post by Coffcarl » Aug 16, 2019, 11:11 am

Well we have been talking about the peaberry, not their canister ethiopian. I wasn't raving, and not detecting any blueberry. I taste grapefruit, but it makes a very adequate esptesso shot, nice balance of sweet, juice, and mouthfeel. A good alternative to spending $17 a pound and up.

cmin

#9: Post by cmin » replying to Coffcarl » Aug 16, 2019, 12:19 pm

yeah I'm talking about the release back in May/June for the Ethiopian PB that everyone on Reddit went nutz for (not meaning you personally), people just acted like it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. And I'm sitting here like wut lol. I literally just had a Nat Worka I was finishing at the time, those two TJs bags weren't remotley close. Especially not pulling shots.

MoreJoePlz

#10: Post by MoreJoePlz » Aug 16, 2019, 6:44 pm

cmin wrote:I had their Ethiopian after seeing people rave about it on Reddit as well few months ago. Mehh, was mediocre if that. I had literally just finished a Natural Worka from another roaster that was a mind blowing blueberry wallop, and it was leagues beyond TJ Ethiopian that everyone was raving about. Two different bags, extracted pretty much how you'd expect grocery store coffee to extract and taste lol, just a step up from normal crap on the shelf.
cmin, which roaster? Do they sell online, or are they local only?