Great value 5lb bag shipped coffee on East Coast?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
yatesd

#1: Post by yatesd »

Hi Everyone,

Slight twist on recent questions. I have tried Redbird, Nossa, Mountain Air, Dragon Fly, and recently Paradise. Prices have really skyrocketed lately.

I'm looking for a decent roast & ship coffee in 5lb bags (OK with subscription), which is a good value after shipping. Historically, I have tried to keep total cost below $60 but will push a little if needed.

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Doug

kris772
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by kris772 »

I see I'm living in lala land. I was going to suggest redbird but they have jumped to $66. I guess prices have jumped!
Life is too short for bad espresso! - Thunk-ed, NOT stirred!

Advertisement
jrham12

#3: Post by jrham12 »

Not sure if it is still active or not, but Northbound was/is offering a 15% discount for HB'ers... Discount being offered by Northbound Coffee for HB'rs

Also, if you watch the ad banners at the top of the page, there is one for Nossa for 20% off for HB members... don't recall offhand what it is though.

Edit: Just as I submitted this post, the ad banner was for Compass offering a 20% discount using code "HB20"... But their prices are already pushing $100 for 5 lbs...

yatesd (original poster)

#4: Post by yatesd (original poster) »

Thanks both of you for your help. Nossa and Compass are not competitive even with their discounts. Redbird is the cheapest of the reputable places I can find and may become my normal place again.

That said, I'm going to try Northbound Coffee Roasters. It cost me $62.80 for their seasonal espresso called "American Beauty" and seemed like something worth trying.

My only other concern going forward is shipping from the West Coast to the East coast doesn't make the most sense to me and I sometimes fear the coffee will get hit with a few days of extreme temperatures along the way. I'd really prefer to buy from a place that was less than 500-1000 miles away!

Any other suggestions to try for next month is appreciated.

Jeff
Team HB

#5: Post by Jeff »

Though some roasters I know of can get to around $70 for 5# delivered on a subscription, are you going through 5# a month?

If "yes" and you're wanting a quality, East Coast roaster at a moderate price, I'd check out B&W as a roaster that seems to get a lot of positive comments about its espresso blends.

Edit: I figure it is what it is for shipping time and conditions. I chose to have great coffee from thousands of miles away over just OK coffee from nearby.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by JohnB. »

yatesd wrote:My only other concern going forward is shipping from the West Coast to the East coast doesn't make the most sense to me and I sometimes fear the coffee will get hit with a few days of extreme temperatures along the way. I'd really prefer to buy from a place that was less than 500-1000 miles away!
I've found that coast to coast USPS PM shipping (2-3 days for me) is much faster then USPS regional deliveries. The package goes through too many hands regionally where as the coast to coast takes one long flight & then out to your local Post Office.
LMWDP 267

chipman

#7: Post by chipman »

Josuma ships free for $65.00 per five lbs.

Advertisement
cmin

#8: Post by cmin »

I think my orders from Windmill were around or just under 80, most good companies are starting in that range now and way up from there. I'm pulling Hyperion Brooklyn right now (really good) and I think 5lbs was about 85 or 90 also but damn good.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#9: Post by Milligan »

FWIW, green coffee prices are way up so its not that the roasters are edging up for no reason. May keep in mind that some roasters may be going down in quality of the greens to keep a price point. $10 or so bump in price amortized over the 120 or so shots that 5lbs of coffee gives isn't too much for quality.

Have you tried for any local roasters? Saving on shipping can benefit everyone.

Ben Z.

#10: Post by Ben Z. »

I haven't used any of their espressos, but my wife appreciates good coffee (but isn't adventurous) and has been drinking the "traditional Colombian" from Happy Mug for years. Most of their coffees are $22 per 2 pounds with free shipping over $40.