Great value 5lb bag shipped coffee on East Coast? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Mat-O-Matic
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by Mat-O-Matic »

Dragonfly La Crema Dolce is $62. Discounts on it come and go. Comfort espresso, but solid.
Yes, most quality roasters (B&W is certainly one I've enjoyed) are $80 and up. It takes some planning to keep 5# fresh enough for a month. The forums are full of strategies for that.
LMWDP #716: Spring comes, and the grass grows by itself.

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#12: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Won't be long before you can't even push $60. You're asking for coffee at just over $10 a pound. Starbucks reserve is $35 a pound. You may find some deals but you may have to change your expectations.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

K7

#13: Post by K7 »

It's in California, but you might check out Black Oak Coffee.
Blends are <= $60/5lb including shipping if you subscribe.
Single origins can be had for a few bucks more. But for 5lb SO, I would subscribe to their 2x12oz ($30 inc shipping) monthly SO subscription and then order a 5lb bag when you come across something you really like. They started to offer 2lb option as well which is nice. I've tried many roasters and BO keeps staying on my go-to list.

Milligan
Supporter ❤

#14: Post by Milligan »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Won't be long before you can't even push $60. You're asking for coffee at just over $10 a pound. Starbucks reserve is $35 a pound. You may find some deals but you may have to change your expectations.
OP wants shipping included too, so that's the roaster selling at $10 or less per pound all told. Don't know about you guys but Dunkin Donuts coffee is around that at the grocery store in my area.

lancealot

#15: Post by lancealot »

Yes, it's challenging for sure. Some folks are on a fixed income or have competing financial priorities.

I'm addition to what has been stated look to Happy Mug's Bigfoot Espresso $50-$60
Buon Giorno Coffee's Autonno Blend $75

ShotClock
Supporter ♡

#16: Post by ShotClock »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz wrote:Won't be long before you can't even push $60. You're asking for coffee at just over $10 a pound. Starbucks reserve is $35 a pound. You may find some deals but you may have to change your expectations.
Quite true, and the price of greens continues to rise. From my limited experience home roasting, it seems like decent greens are up from ~$6 per pound to ~$8 over the last 6-12 months or so. I expect that the minimum cost of roasted specialty coffee will be rising a corresponding amount. My reference comfort blend is Alchemy from George Howell, and is $100 for 5lb, seems like an increasingly common price point.

nameisjoey

#17: Post by nameisjoey »

Purchasing (3) 1 kilo bags of of one the Saka Caffe bar blends runs about $92.50 Shipped from Cantina Coffee to California. That's about $14/lb shipped price. Pretty good value to me and definitely on the lower end these days.

jeremybono

#18: Post by jeremybono »

You might try Vail Mountain Coffee and Tea: https://www.vailcoffee.com/
Despite living in Colorado for a long time, I just recently discovered them and they are in your price range (~60). They have a large selection including several espresso specific blends that seem to run the range from lighter to darker. I'm enjoying Espresso Classico, which is a medium roast. I have also tried the Sicilian and Italiano. The Italiano was good but a bit darker than I like (just a touch of oil on the beans), the Sicilian was advertised as a medium roast but I would say on the light side of medium. It was good too. I have not tried Espresso La Vita (Northern Italian style) and Caffe Passero.

chockfullofbutts

#19: Post by chockfullofbutts »

I'll also recommend Happy Mug. I've been very happy with what I've tried so far and the single origin are a tremendous value.

Espesotime

#20: Post by Espesotime »

Hi.. you might want to look at Josuma Coffee Company "Malabar Gold" 5# bag is $65.90 with shipping. They will ship in 5 one pound bags for a dollar extra a bag. I just ordered 5 pounds for the first time. Heard good things about it.. so thought I'd give it a try.