Grade 1 natural Ethiopian?

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Swissadams

#1: Post by Swissadams »

Does this look like a grade 1 natural Ethiopian?
All taken from same 230g batch.
:|
Purchased from a highly regarded importer.
I've been quite pleased with what I received from them last year but this years shipment something is off.
Seems like I ordered Pineapple Express and got Sniklefritz. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Bodka Coffee

#2: Post by Bodka Coffee »

Not really. It seems quite poor in quality actually.

Alan Frew

#3: Post by Alan Frew »

Grades are based on defects/bean mass (usually 300g). I don't know how many of those beans you pulled out of how much coffee, but if it's less than 300g it's a grade 4 at best.

Alan

Boldjava

#4: Post by Boldjava »

Swissadams wrote:Does this look like a grade 1 natural Ethiopian?
All taken from same 230g batch.
Purchased from a highly regarded importer.
I've been quite pleased with what I received from them last year but this years shipment something is off...
Importers are often working with in-country brokers as well as direct relationship farms. They often, but not always, receive pre-shipment samples which they roast and cup. It is indicative of what they can expect.

They would want benefit of your experience. Reach out to them.
-----
LMWDP #339

KevinAlvord

#5: Post by KevinAlvord »

Yeah that looks gnarly. I have certainly had grade 4 that was a hell of a lot prettier than that.
LMWDP #532

KevinAlvord

#6: Post by KevinAlvord »

Just curious, how does it taste?
LMWDP #532

compellingrich

#7: Post by compellingrich »

When you've bought enough Ethiopia, you figure out you're rolling the dice with every purchase. Especially with naturals. Unfortunate fact of life. My experience this year has been direct exports (bypassing ECX) have had cleaner sorts, even with "Grade 2" classification - some exporters grade their coffee lower to pay lower costs to ECX, but you'll find their sorts are G1 and better.

I paid mid-$4's for a "Zero-defect" washed Yirg that was flat as hell and likely past-crop. Most roasters I know have at least one Ethiopia horror story.

Ellejaycafe

#8: Post by Ellejaycafe replying to compellingrich »

I have been getting some of the best grade 3 ehtiopians from my roaster this year... They seem better than grade 3. He uses Royal coffee ny. They have been super clean, no defects that I can see, just straight fruit bombs.
LMWDP #544

Swissadams (original poster)

#9: Post by Swissadams (original poster) »

Thanks so much for the replies. I haven't had a chance to brew that roast up yet,
Smelling the beans a few hours after the roast smelled like dry dog food think... puppy chow.
Normally beans fresh out the roast have a toasty brown butter smell.
cracking the beans right under my nose smells hollow, dusty pallets burlap.some had no scent at all. And one like the empty pockets of a thrift store leather jacket. After cracking 10 or so beans under my nose I only had one that smelled like a natural, think cheap jug wine. I have a 40lbs assortment of beans and I feel only 10 lbs is what I actually ordered (Panama Elida natural).

compellingrich

#10: Post by compellingrich replying to Swissadams »

That smell is often a consequence of stalling. (Coming from a reformed habitual staller.) Make sure your ROR is a minimum of 10-degrees, and post 1-C never goes flat.

I know who exactly you ordered from. Give them a call and tell them you had an issue, they have great customer service.