Good decaf espresso? - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Balthazar_B

Postby Balthazar_B » May 26, 2018, 12:08 pm

Not in your head, Trent, though definitely on your palate. Considering how coffee beans are tortured to decaffeinate them, it's unsurprising that they'll tend to change for the worse. I'm not a big decaf drinker, generally -- an espresso after dinner doesn't keep me awake -- but I've tried several and if you find one you like, consider yourself lucky. And do your bit to see to it that the roaster can stay in business.
- John

LMWDP # 577

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » May 26, 2018, 3:13 pm

trent526 wrote:I have tried a few decaf espressos but the shots seem less full bodied and syrup(y) than regular. I've tried different grinds and doses. Anyone else have this experience or is it all in my head?

I agree with John, it's not in your head. As I mentioned in my previous post, in order to regain some of that "body" and intensity of flavor you need to up dose like there's no tomorrow, IMO. I go 20g in an 18g VST basket. Might even opt for 22g in a 20g VST basket. Lots of pre-infusion time, and maybe even on the ristretto side.

But then again I hardly ever drink it myself, so I'm no expert.
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

trent526

Postby trent526 » May 27, 2018, 7:13 am

Thanks for the responses. I can't say that we drink much of it either, maybe a couple of times a month. But, I had tried 4 differenct brands/variaties and they all have had similar flavor profile(not good) and suffer from the same shot problems. I'll try some of the suggestions you have made. I certainly don't expect miracles since decaf is at best a compromise.

BaristaBob

Postby BaristaBob » May 27, 2018, 7:32 am

trent526 wrote: I certainly don't expect miracles since decaf is at best a compromise.

+1
Bob "hello darkness my old friend..."

avid

Postby avid » May 27, 2018, 12:06 pm

Learn to roast and load up on top quality Swiss water Decafs from Sweet Maria's. I am sipping on a latte made with SM Ethiopia Duromina SWP decaf purchased last fall. It is delicious. I have about ten more pounds in the stash. I reluctantly have compared my decaf lattes to Ashland, OR coffee roasters and was surprised to discover mine equaled theirs. The DW, bless her heart, told me our's were better.

Are my caffeinated lattes better? No doubt, but for decaf SM's SWP are pretty close. JMHO!

[creative nickname]

Postby [creative nickname] » May 27, 2018, 12:27 pm

I've been pretty pleased with Cafe Lusso's decaf offering. It is chocolatey and mild, and the processing seems to be clean enough that I would probably think it was a middle of the road (non-decaf) Brazil if I didn't know what I was tasting.
LMWDP #435

spressomon

Postby spressomon » May 27, 2018, 8:17 pm

avid wrote:Learn to roast and load up on top quality Swiss water Decafs from Sweet Maria's. I am sipping on a latte made with SM Ethiopia Duromina SWP decaf purchased last fall. It is delicious. I have about ten more pounds in the stash. I reluctantly have compared my decaf lattes to Ashland, OR coffee roasters and was surprised to discover mine equaled theirs. The DW, bless her heart, told me our's were better.

Are my caffeinated lattes better? No doubt, but for decaf SM's SWP are pretty close. JMHO!

Your home roasted beans taste same or better than Noble's World Tour Decaf? If so congratulations; no easy feat! These are, flat out, the best decaf beans I've ever pulled or tasted. And Caffe Lusso's decaf are good but for my palate Noble's reign supreme.
No Espresso = Depresso

avid

Postby avid » replying to spressomon » May 27, 2018, 10:00 pm

Then again, you have never had any of Sweet Maria's killer decafs. Last year that had an Ethiopian called Techo Kecho that I served to several coffee aficionados it was so amazing they refused to believe that it was only coffee.

trent526

Postby trent526 » May 28, 2018, 4:55 pm

This is great information. I now have at least 3 new varieties to try out. Thanks!

grind727

Postby grind727 » May 29, 2018, 9:51 am

I'll echo what someone else said about CC's Slow Motion. I've been having good luck with it lately, which hasn't always been the case in the past.

I've also been enjoying Black & White Coffee's Decaf Columbia. For those that don't know, this is a roaster in Wake Forest, NC that's co-owned by former US Barista Champions, Lem Butler and Kyle Ramage. They're at: https://www.blackwhiteroasters.com/