Good coffees I've had recently - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
another_jim
Team HB

#11: Post by another_jim »

Abe Carmeli wrote:Jim,

So the Harrar is the base? Is that the Coffee Wholesales Harar? And why did you shun the Americans there? I'm deeply offended.
It is Chuck's Mao Harar from earlier this year; he's out of it, and now has the Oromia Harar, a different coffee.

This is a a Harar solo blend, which, unlike an SO, gets some background musicians. It works great as an SO, but I wanted some of that aged taste, so I added the Sumatra. By the time that taste came out, it overwhelmed the chocolate, so in went the Aussie to pep up the chocolate. The two together muffled the top end, and the aged bean is a little musty in the long finish. The Karaba fixed both those problems.

I've never used Centrals and Africans together; to my very subjective personal taste they clash. My fave central based espressos taste like cookies, pie crust, roasted nuts, roasted apples and pears -- flavors that would go with a nice happy white dessert wine. The african based espressos remind me of chocolate, peaty/oaky notes, dark fruit -- flavors that go with a port wine. I think that's why mild aged indos work so well with these coffees -- it's like adding the port to the dessert.

I once spent 4 months trying to add a Nic that tasted like marzipan and baked pears to a blackberry Kenya in an espresso blend. I ran out of coffee well before I had anything drinkable.

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
IronBarista

#12: Post by IronBarista »

malachi wrote:Have you had the Drie Fountainen lambics?
Incredible!!!
Sorry to butt in but yesh, they are quite tasty. If you ever come out this way, go to their brewery/restaurant for the great food and beer. They have lambics on tap which are different than the bottle. Plus, you can buy some bottles at the brewery.
LMWDP #011

another_jim
Team HB

#13: Post by another_jim »

Paladino by Zoka: I scored 1/4 pound from Steve Fritzen at the GLBC (congrats to him for 3rd place, Amber Sather and Matt Riddle for 2nd & 1st).

Figuring it was used for a barista championship, I did the first pull by the numbers, 200F and a full 2 ounces. It was OK, but a little light and citric; so I went to the way I remembered it at Seattle: hot and short. Niiiice; all berries and chocolate, with a buttery mouthfeel and a lingering sweet finish, just about my favorite blend profile. Enough said.

another_jim
Team HB

#14: Post by another_jim »

A few from Cafe Fresco:

Ambrosia: A tad dark for my taste; but very pleasant bitter-sweet caramel and chocolate with peaty malt whiskey notes. A pleasant after-dinner shot for darker roast, ultra-low acidity fans.

PNG Ancora: I liked this one, a great PNG with the characteristic barbecued, smokey plum and date taste. A very slight hint of chocolate. Also none of the salt and meatbroth ferment PNGs sometimes have. Well worth a try by everyone except very light roast diehards.

Abe Carmeli
Team HB

#15: Post by Abe Carmeli »

Doma Ruby's organic espresso. Terry Patano of Doma sent me a pound of it, and a pound of Vito's. First time around it was held as a hostage by my building's concierge, and I got it released 3 weeks after it was shipped. Terry shipped another batch and I got it 3 days from roast. Ruby's is seductive as a straight shot. Beautiful color, clean, full bodied with strong blueberry chocolate finish. The sweet finish lasted a long time. Yum! 201f 17g L/M ridged double, 26 sec 1.5 oz
Abe Carmeli

Ozark_61

#16: Post by Ozark_61 »

another_jim wrote:I've never used Centrals and Africans together; to my very subjective personal taste they clash...
That's interesting - I found the same. I'm not a gourmet... but my favorite basic blend is Brazil 50%, Costa Rica Tarrazu 25%. Even 50% on the Tarrazu is fine and be done with it. To me, that's a good basic chocolately shot. I then add 25% of something to make it interesting, but the Africans tend to be strange (clashing). I really like other centrals like Antigua or even PNG. That said, I thought the Columbia supremo was terrible in that mix, the Mexico HG was blah, and the Ethiopian yirg was actually pretty good... so it's always a guessing game!

Great recommendations on the commercial blends (Black Cat and Palidino are awesome)! One not mentioned, and the most I would like to be able to emulate is Metropolis' Redline. I find it quite interesting / complex and different from other blends. Victrola's Streamline is similarly off the beaten path due to the monsooned character (I don't think that is so common in commercial blends).

Geoff

another_jim
Team HB

#17: Post by another_jim »

crudo20 wrote:Great recommendations on the commercial blends (Black Cat and Palidino are awesome)! One not mentioned, and the most I would like to be able to emulate is Metropolis' Redline. I find it quite interesting / complex and different from other blends. Victrola's Streamline is similarly off the beaten path due to the monsooned character (I don't think that is so common in commercial blends).
Schomer's Dolce and Dr. John's Malabar Gold also use monsooned malabar; but in a more up front manner than in Victrola's.

I should be able to give a thumbnail sketch of Metropolis's Redline, since it's a great Chicago cafe. But I'm embarrassed to say that I can't recall it except that I liked it a lot. Tony likes African and Indonesian coffees (he has a great second blend "Good soldier Schweik" which uses those components in a more obvious way; Redline, as I recall, was a much harder read).

Baratza: skilled in the art of grinding
Sponsored by Baratza
cannonfodder
Team HB

#18: Post by cannonfodder »

I get lots of citrus with a chocolate finish on RedLine. Tony changed the blend slightly to enhance the chocolate note.

I got a bag of Ambrosia this week, that blend has changed as well. Earthier than my first bag and it looks to be slightly darker as well. I liked the old version better.
Dave Stephens