Gesha Village auction 2017

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
Almico

#1: Post by Almico »

I got an email a couple of weeks ago about this auction. I registered, but was not likely going to be bidding. They were selling all 21 coffees in 200g samples for "only" $395. I passed. There is not much I can do with a 200g sample anyway. The auction went down May 31 and these are the results:

http://auction.geshavillage.com/lots/au ... ction-2017

The standout curiosity for me is Lot#59, an 87.12 coffee that went for $72.30/#. I'd really like to know why.

Boldjava

#2: Post by Boldjava »

Love Geshas but like you, when I saw prices, knew I was out of my league. Had a self-reflective chuckle over it.

RE: Your question, my guess is that the farm underscored the cup just like it appears they overscored lot 49. Easily happens if few cuppers at the table.
-----
LMWDP #339

Chert

#3: Post by Chert »

$$$$eeing that makes me really happy to have yet to try a gesha that excited me to such a pricey tune. Maybe someday I will get it.
LMWDP #198

Almico (original poster)

#4: Post by Almico (original poster) »

Boldjava wrote:RE: Your question, my guess is that the farm underscored the cup just like it appears they overscored lot 49. Easily happens if few cuppers at the table.
Makes sense. I'm sure everyone that bid bought the samples and had a chance to taste. To me, roasting up and cupping 21 200g samples is a pain in itself, but making 5 digit buying decisions off a 200g sample is even more daunting.

I also wonder what one does with an $80/# ($94/# roasted) green coffee? By my calculation, the COGs for a cup of that coffee is $3.75. By comparison, the COGs for a cup of my really nice Las Margaritas de Jardin is $.11. I charge $2 a cup; and given a similar markup, a cup of that Gesha would cost $67.50.

Boldjava

#5: Post by Boldjava »

You make it a $5.50 cup, realize that margins are slim, and treat it as a come on. Pump the dickens out of its pedigree and your stable of fine coffees.
-----
LMWDP #339

Moxiechef
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Moxiechef »

Almico wrote:I also wonder what one does with an $80/# ($94/# roasted) green coffee? By my calculation, the COGs for a cup of that coffee is $3.75. By comparison, the COGs for a cup of my really nice Las Margaritas de Jardin is $.11. I charge $2 a cup; and given a similar markup, a cup of that Gesha would cost $67.50.
We both know that at the end of the day it's all about Gross Profit. If you could charge $7 for it, you'd nearly double your GP and that's good money!

Let alone the style points you get with your customers by offering such a rare (but probably overpriced) coffee.

Boldjava

#7: Post by Boldjava »

Moxiechef wrote:...

Let alone the style points ...
All high end auctions are about style points. I participated in the Grounds for Health auction this week (got closed out early; "thanks for playing"). Three Geshas went for $75/70/65 and a Pacamara from El Injerto (Guat) ran $40. Nuts by my standards, but 4 outfits see it as part of their business plans.
-----
LMWDP #339